A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Hannah L--- Plant starting - March 3rd, 2007 at 02:10 PM
Hi, I have my tomatoes in a box(covered with styrofoam insulation to keep the heat in) with a Heat lamp(the type for keeping peeps warm) with a white light bulb. Should I put my tomatoes under a shop light now that they have sprouted, or should I just let them in the box under the heat lamp? Thanks for your help!!!
Posted By: MLN Re: Plant starting - March 3rd, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Assuming your tomatoes are in your house, once they are up, you need to uncover them and take the heat lamp off. An ordinary shop light should be sufficient as long as you keep the tomato plants approximately 4 inches from the light. Congrats on your successful sprout percentage muggs
Posted By: Hannah L--- Re: Plant starting - March 5th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
May I ask why they can't be under the heat lamp(which stays anywhere between 75*-85*)
-I'm just curious.

(You were correct-they are in my house)

Thanks Again!
Posted By: Danno Re: Plant starting - March 6th, 2007 at 12:04 AM
i too have mine start under a incadescent heat lamp until they sprout then i put them under a 4 ft. flourescent shop light fixture. just did this out of habit, never gave it much thought. Just simply thought that 4 ft. was a lot more coverage area to put 10+ plants under so it seemed right to me smile Good luck growing ur tom plants. . i have yet to start my tom's but will be starting here soon! (i got 4 pepper plants started a week ago almost!)
Posted By: MLN Re: Plant starting - March 6th, 2007 at 07:15 PM
Hanna,
A heat lamp puts out more heat than a shop type light. A heat lamp would likely be too hot for your young plants once they are up.
Posted By: Hannah L--- Re: Plant starting - March 7th, 2007 at 12:09 PM
o.k-thanks for clearing that up for me!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]