A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sandy113 fish water - March 16th, 2007 at 04:40 PM
can someone tell me if the water from a fish tank is good to use to water my plants
Posted By: porter57 Re: fish water - March 16th, 2007 at 06:29 PM
it is wonderful for plants inside and out
dont waste it by pouring it down the drain
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: fish water - March 16th, 2007 at 07:07 PM
Do you put aquarium salts into it? If so, you might think be careful not to apply it in the same area repeatedly. Salts can easily (and quickly) build up in the soil. Also, if you treat your tank with the anti-ick stuff, a lot of them use a carcinogen (a substance known to cause cancer), so be careful not to pour that on any edibles.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fish water - March 17th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
that said, if you have a gold fish, beta, or a pond that is totally natural, you can't get a better water to water your plants with.
Posted By: sandy113 Re: fish water - March 17th, 2007 at 02:21 AM
thanks i have a 75gal tank that has 2pacus and i have 1 35 gal tank that have fancy tail guppies than my daughters has a 55 gal tank that have a grommi so wilwater for my plants l i have enough grinnnn
Posted By: porter57 Re: fish water - March 17th, 2007 at 07:08 PM
i dont think the amount of salts normally used in an aquarium,particularly the size mentioned would have any ill effects. i used to use salt in my freshwater tanks and it wasnt that much.
mollies in particular loved it!
Posted By: sandy113 Re: fish water - March 19th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
thanks i have started to bottle the water so when it is time to water the plants i will have it i use to dump it but than someone told me that i could use it on my plants put i was not for sure angell thanks to all that helped me
Posted By: carino Re: fish water - March 24th, 2007 at 03:31 AM
I have a koi pond which I use to water some of my plants. I use my pump to syphon water to my plants next to the pond. Unfortunately, my three year old wisteria died because I watered it too much.

Guess the adage which says, too much of a good thing can hurt you, was true in my case. My other plants however, are doing fine.
Posted By: sandy113 Re: fish water - March 24th, 2007 at 01:29 PM
that saying is true
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]