A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MikeG Please identify my trees - October 8th, 2005 at 01:11 PM
I have a total of 6 trees. 4 in the backyard and two in the front yard. The four in the backyard are of one kind and the two in the front yard are another.

Please identify them for me. Also do I need to feed trees? If yew, how frequently.

Type 1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Type 2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

another one of the same kind but larger/wider leaves
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please identify my trees - October 9th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
Mike moving these to The Mystery Section...
Posted By: catlover Re: Please identify my trees - October 9th, 2005 at 08:08 PM
Can't really tell but is Type 2 either an 'Olive' or 'Eucalyptus' tree??? Duh
Posted By: Carly Re: Please identify my trees - October 11th, 2005 at 12:50 PM
There's a willow in there, I think.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Please identify my trees - October 11th, 2005 at 06:31 PM
Could type 1 be a bradford pear tree?

Dianna
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please identify my trees - October 11th, 2005 at 09:50 PM
Type one looks like it might be a Ficus

Type 2 looks like a Willow Oak

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Arctostaphylos Re: Please identify my trees - October 13th, 2005 at 12:37 AM
Tree #1 looks like Pyrus calleryana (there are numerous varieties available). Tree #2 is difficult to discern, a close up of the foliage would be helpful. Happy gardening
Posted By: MikeG Re: Please identify my trees - October 14th, 2005 at 04:28 AM
Thanks for all who helped. I had a true green guy come in today and he said #1 is BRadford Pears and the second one is Oak Tree.
Posted By: Carly Re: Please identify my trees - October 14th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
It's always nice to know one of those 'true green' guys, Mike.

There's a fella' who lives in our building and he's the leader of the High Park natural species restoration and all that jazz. I pick his brains a lot - he once complained that he can't leave and come back to his apartment without being harassed.

Hee hee!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Please identify my trees - October 15th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
Do you mean the True Green Chemlawn guy? Those guys don't usually know anything except how to spray poison. I think that #1 is, a relative of the Bradford, one of the callery pears as Arc said above. It looks like it has signifigant damage at the base, thus the suckering at the base. #2 sure looks like russian olive, and the last pic is likely a water oak rather than a willow oak. The best thing you can do to fertilize your trees is to mulch mow, leaving the clippings to return to the soil. Also, if you fertilize your lawn you needn't give extra fertilizer to the trees. A mineral supplement such as "Ironite" every couple of years is very beneficial. The worst thing you can do is overfertilize.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Please identify my trees - October 15th, 2005 at 09:07 PM
Actually, the more I look at #2, it just might be a willow oak, but from the picture, it looks as though the leaves are grayish. If that's the true color, I'm going with the olive.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]