A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sandy113 aloe vera plant - March 7th, 2007 at 01:48 PM
hello i have a new aloe plant and i need to know if i need to put it in a big pot here is a picture of it http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/sandy113_photo/IMG_0029-1.jpg
Posted By: njoynit Re: aloe vera plant - March 7th, 2007 at 02:08 PM
Nice aloe.you can move it up to the size of the pot behind it.A heavy pot is better cause it will hold the weight of the plant as at ages.I use to keep mine potted in ground& back in a pot in winter...but its larger now and not easily done.Their roots don't go deep you can grow in a shallow pot.Evreytime I see the the pot I'd love to move mine into at the store.............It's a pot over $30.I just looked yesterday at Lowe's and seen a nice one.....$48.

One of mine is pot bound.....so it's filled with babies as well as a mature plant or two.If you ever have a bad leaf you can go on and scrape the gel out and save in a jar in the fridge.I sometimes save the skins in zip lock bag in butter dish compartment for larger burns.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: aloe vera plant - March 7th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
Looks great Sandy.....i always keep a little one in the house....you just never know when it will come in handy!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: aloe vera plant - March 7th, 2007 at 02:51 PM
Nice Aloe, Sandy! I love mine....it is why I came here to GH! laugh laugh Now that I know not to overwater...I am a proud mom to several happy aloes! laugh laugh
Posted By: patches1414 Re: aloe vera plant - March 8th, 2007 at 12:32 AM
Actually, the only plant I have in my house now is my aloe plant and that's only for all the times I burn myself! eek With all the mature trees around my house I really can't do many plants indoors anymore. frown Of course, if we keep having ice storms and the spring storms with the high winds, I may not have many trees left. ters

Sandy, I do have my aloe planted in a very heavy pot because it gets so top-heavy. wink
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 8th, 2007 at 12:52 PM
thanks for all the replies so i can move it to a biger pot thanks i will post pictures of the pots that i have before i repot it cause i want to make sure i havethe right kind of pot.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: aloe vera plant - March 8th, 2007 at 03:08 PM
The right kind of soil is very important, too, especially in a larger pot. Make sure you use a fast draining soil or add some grit to a regular potting soil. Unglazed clay pots are best. You've got a beautiful plant!
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 8th, 2007 at 04:52 PM
margaret i have a plastic pot can i use it
Posted By: patches1414 Re: aloe vera plant - March 9th, 2007 at 08:01 AM
Sandy, I think Margaret's idea of a clay pot might be better because of the added weight of the pot. wink From my experience, I've found that when the Aloe Vera get bigger there is a tendency for them to become very top-heavy. eek Unglazed clay pots are usually plentiful and very reasonable. wink
Posted By: Tonya Re: aloe vera plant - March 9th, 2007 at 01:08 PM
Sandy- I have my monster aloe vera in a plastic pot, you just have to be VERY careful to not overwater. Unglazed clay is best because it helps unused water to evaporate quicker- that helps avoid root rot( ALoes are VERY sensitive to too much water). I only water my monster when the top inch or two of soil is dry and then only a small amount of water. Soil is omportant- margaret was the one who helped me "save" my first aloe- you can buy Aloe soil, or mix plain potting soil(no perlite) with coarse sand or gravel. I think you have the basics down- your plant sure is happy- flw
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: aloe vera plant - March 9th, 2007 at 04:46 PM
And give it as much sun as you possibly can!
Posted By: April Coria Re: aloe vera plant - March 10th, 2007 at 07:00 AM
i dont have an aloe plant though my mother has always had at least one... i cant find anywhere here to get one either... i want one sooo bad couldve used it today too... i burned my thumb horribly.. lala laugh
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 10th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
april coria do u have a wal-mart store where u live u might want to try there
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 10th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
thank u all for ur help and susport
Posted By: patches1414 Re: aloe vera plant - March 10th, 2007 at 10:36 PM
i dont have an aloe plant though my mother has always had at least one... i cant find anywhere here to get one either... i want one sooo bad
April, do you know anyone around there that has one because they are always sprouting up baby plants, wink so it's real easy to get a start for a new plant. smile
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 11th, 2007 at 02:39 PM
if some one can tell me how to cut some of this aloe vera of so i can trade it
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 11th, 2007 at 06:04 PM
april coria i would love to share my aloe vera with u but i do not know where or how to split it do u or do u know of someone that can tell me how to do it
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 11th, 2007 at 06:35 PM
patches1414 i would love to share my aloe with u but i do not know how to split it
Posted By: patches1414 Re: aloe vera plant - March 12th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Sandy, you will see little babies coming out of the ground and those are all new plants. clp I usually just dig one of those out and repot it in a new container. wink
Posted By: njoynit Re: aloe vera plant - March 12th, 2007 at 05:26 PM
I have babies.I also have older babies still attached.I also have 2 in their own pot thats almost 2 yrs old.

[Linked Image]

In the photo you can clearly see the big one.The peace lilly hides most of the other.I'll snap a shot of it.

A shot of my blue kalonche in bloom.the aloe is in the back...so have not snapped a good shot/I like the way it hangs over pot.Its pot bound,but have thinned a few out.

[Linked Image]

It's my BIL aloe.I just look after it.He's learning how to grow TX style...different from Indpls.But I've hijacked his green pothos.It looks good where its at.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: aloe vera plant - March 13th, 2007 at 03:21 AM
Boy, you have a wonderful collection of indoor plants. clp clp I sure wish I had the room and right conditions to have plants in the house. frown
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 13th, 2007 at 11:59 AM
they all look nice and healthy
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: aloe vera plant - March 13th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
Everything does look healthy....is that a shot of your porch too??
Posted By: njoynit Re: aloe vera plant - March 14th, 2007 at 01:22 PM
yes.thats my porch......one end of it.Its 9x26.plants are out now.....unless mother-Nature changes mind.The other shot is my cold GH I just keep stuff on the dry side.If it does drop below freezeing it is protected from frost& the more sensitive stuff gets a sheet on those nights.My biggest problem is keeping it from getting too warm.I'm wanting my GH outdoors off porch.I just have to make it hubby's idea idea some of them porch plants look ratty...your just not close.Thats the BACKSIDE of peace lilly.And both arrow vines are leggy.I'll proably wad the vines in the bucket and cover with fresh soil.The spider plant has babies....that have HAD babies ( I even sent some to Norway) I had the peace lilly in house.everything else you see was cold GH.I didn't sheet the aloes this year....is a sheet shortage with the plant increse.

Here's the aloe shot
[Linked Image]

On the other aloe post someone has a photo of the flower.I might let mine get a lil more sun,just not the harshest sun.I have rocks in bottom of my huge aloe...for balance,plus a bonus of drainage too.
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 15th, 2007 at 10:29 AM
njoynit how can i split my aloe vera plant
Posted By: myndful Re: aloe vera plant - March 15th, 2007 at 11:33 AM
Sandy, I don't think you can split an aloe. I believe you need to wait until it has babies.
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 15th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
myndful how can i tell when it has a baby
Posted By: njoynit Re: aloe vera plant - March 15th, 2007 at 06:04 PM
It will look like a smaller version of your aloe.

http://www.soulfly.dds.nl/pics/babies.jpg
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 15th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
thank u no mines do not have babies yet but thank u for showing me what to look for thumbup muggs
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 16th, 2007 at 08:28 PM
i was walking through the wildy near my church and when i got to this shrine mabye.. 100 yards off. on two sides of the mound there is a incline and decline like a upside down V. I was walking on the side facing out, and i looked down and saw aRED ALOE VERA PLANT< it was exactly like a aloe vera plant, i know cause i have one. so i look to both sides and theres 15-25 of them. i researched them for an hour and a half and couldn't find it. is it a new species?
can you tee me what it is?
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 16th, 2007 at 08:31 PM
i won't be here after 6. im camping there. i'll take a pict of it.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: aloe vera plant - March 16th, 2007 at 09:17 PM
Yes, we'll need a pic, or several pics! I look forward to seeing them.
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 16th, 2007 at 09:33 PM
kk im going to post by 7:00. they look soooo beutiful and there are so many baby ones
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 16th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
im gonna quickly ride home and post them when i get there.
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 17th, 2007 at 02:26 AM
i would love to see those pictures as well
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: aloe vera plant - March 17th, 2007 at 11:22 PM
I wonder what happened to TheSimpleGardener? sca shk
Posted By: Anonymous Re: aloe vera plant - March 18th, 2007 at 12:20 AM
he/she is camping for the weekend. guess they ended up not having time to post a pic before going off for the weekend.
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 18th, 2007 at 08:19 PM
im back, posting them right now.
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 18th, 2007 at 08:20 PM
clicked it and it froze.
Posted By: ms.tmac Re: aloe vera plant - March 19th, 2007 at 01:22 PM
I too have an aloe Vera plant and mine had a baby as well. I love my plant and I know it is time yet again to transplant mine into even a bigger pot, however my window isn't big enough so it probally wouldn't get enough light. I need a solarium but their kind of expensive. My husband hates my aloe Vera plant and every chance he gets he complains about it, then before I know it a piece has been bent or broken off. My daughter when I first got my plant decided she would puncture it with her fingernails. Fortunately it healed itself well. Funny cause now she has the offshoot to the plant. From time to time my husband still says that it is one ugly plant. To bad for him. I told him its my baby and if he hurts it, I'll take it out on one of his plants. He didn't seem to like that. So now I think we've come to an understanding.
Posted By: bettyboop1948 Re: aloe vera plant - March 20th, 2007 at 01:41 AM
Try going to walmart are a lowes store u should find one there GL on finding one
Bettyboop1948 wavey
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 20th, 2007 at 10:22 PM
here they are
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/shinkinkoff/
Posted By: TheSimpleGardener Re: aloe vera plant - March 20th, 2007 at 10:22 PM
the picts that i took while camping
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: aloe vera plant - March 20th, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Not aloe vera. There are over 450 species of aloe. I'll look more later. Here are some places for you to look:
http://www.aloestudies.org/
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Asphodelaceae/Aloe.html
http://translate.google.com/transla...%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official_s%26sa%3DG
Have fun and good luck!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: aloe vera plant - March 20th, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Help me, Jiffy! How do I make nice links?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: aloe vera plant - March 21st, 2007 at 03:55 AM
nothing wrong with your links margaret! they work just fine!! and some pretty darn informative links they are, too!!!

thanks for posting them!!
Posted By: sandy113 Re: aloe vera plant - March 23rd, 2007 at 12:31 AM
those are some nice pics and some good info links
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]