A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: hisgal2 Friend or foe??? - May 26th, 2005 at 03:38 AM
What is it?? Should it be in my bed?? I have it all over half of my bed!!! It almost reminds me of dandelion...how the leaves are shaped...but its not. Help!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Friend or foe??? - May 26th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
It's in that family Jenn..
I can't remember the name of it...
But it'll elongate up and send out yellow flowers????
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Friend or foe??? - May 26th, 2005 at 05:23 AM
Jenn - I've got those coming up all through my 'lawn' and if it's in MY 'lawn', its definitely not a good sign for your bed, I'm afraid...it's some kind of crazy weed that's taking over my yard! frown
Posted By: Longy Re: Friend or foe??? - May 26th, 2005 at 12:50 PM
If you chip it back into the soil with a hoe it'll be a great nitrogen tonic for your other plants. Also great nitrogen for the compost bin. Just get it before it seeds.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Friend or foe??? - May 26th, 2005 at 05:33 PM
So...its something that I don't want in there then?
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Friend or foe??? - May 27th, 2005 at 01:57 AM
Looks like young lactuca serriola 'prickly lettuce'.

weed alert
Posted By: Longy Re: Friend or foe??? - May 27th, 2005 at 01:16 PM
So...its something that I don't want in there then?
+++++++++++++
Rofl. I got no idea. It might be an annual flower. Just wait till it flowers. If you don't want it, give it a taste of your wooden handled weapons before it sets seed smile
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Friend or foe??? - May 27th, 2005 at 03:52 PM
Compass plant or prickly lettuce is usually found in disturbed sites.
That is from the link that was provided. What does "disturbed sites" mean? Are they telling me my back yard is run down!??? shk
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Friend or foe??? - May 27th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
I'm guessing here, but could it have been introduced by mulching with some store bought stuff? I know in my case, it would be growing because it's a 'disturbed' area - my yard is quite 'disturbed'! laugh
Posted By: NearWater Re: Friend or foe??? - May 27th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
Disturbed could be a site that was burned, tilled or previously tilled then abandened.

In your case I suspect you created a space for something to thrive and something else landed in the prefect situation and is taking advantage of it.

Friend or Foe, I don't know. I'd stay with the original plan and kill it.

Originally posted by hisgal2:
Compass plant or prickly lettuce is usually found in disturbed sites.
That is from the link that was provided. What does "disturbed sites" mean? Are they telling me my back yard is run down!??? shk
Posted By: Carly Re: Friend or foe??? - June 3rd, 2005 at 02:45 PM
It's hawkweed.

We have a circle of the stuff - it came up on its own last year and we liked it.

It's supposed to be a bad one, as far as wild growth goes, but if you have a wild lot anyway, guess it doesn't matter.

If it's near some roses or something you're protecting, well you'll have to move it.

Here's ours as it is right now.

[Linked Image]

Here it is last year . . .

[Linked Image]

That part of the lot is much tidier now. Still needs a little work though.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]