A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 03:17 AM
I pulled a leaf outta' this slope down the street - this stuff sprawls all over the sidewalk every summer - the people never trim it.

[Linked Image]

I just don't have the nerve to put my hand in there and grab a big root of it. I'm thinking of marching up to their door and asking if I can have the honour of thinning the stuff for them, 'cause it might make some nice ground cover on our lot.l

I might even get the gumption to traipse in there tonight and ask the people.
Posted By: Carly Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 04:09 AM
Gotta' bring this up, or it will get pushed to the second page.
Posted By: duckie Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 07:24 AM
looks like virginia creeper.my neighbors were wiggin' out about it,they thought it was poison ivy.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/virginia_creeper.htm
Posted By: Carly Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 09:12 AM
So, according to that page, it's not a good idea to cultivate the stuff, good ground cover or not.
Posted By: duckie Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
hmmmmm......good question.I guess it just depends on location.

I wouldn't want it in my perennial beds or my vegetable/flower gardens.

But it is a very pretty ground cover between the trees in our park.

And yes ,it will go up the trees.But so what?I hope no one (numbfuts)blasts them with chems,thinking it's poison ivy. frown
sorry,personal rant
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 10:34 AM
I'm with you on that duckie - yaknow how many people around here call it PI? These are people who've been around it their whole lives...and here's me, this city slicker, telling em it's not. Duh

Seems like they do grow together though - so be careful that there's no PI in the area when you're messin with it.

We have a bunch of va creeper on our fence, and it looks nice...it turns red in fall so it's nice pretty much 3 seasons.
Posted By: Carly Re: virginia creeper - August 14th, 2005 at 10:14 PM
OK - I'm going to put my sneakers on right now and go down there armed with my knife, clippers, etc.

It's Sunday morning - 11:15 a.m. I'll let ya' know how I make out.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]