A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Linny Need some grass growing help. - February 11th, 2007 at 05:46 PM
Hi. I live in North Central Florida. The front yard is sandy with very patchy grass. Would we be wasting our time and money trying to lay sod, or should we seed it? Also, what kind of grass would grow here best,if any? The yard is about 2 acres so money is a consideration.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Longy Re: Need some grass growing help. - February 13th, 2007 at 11:32 PM
I'd topdress the grass with good soil, maybe an inch thick, and let the natural grass come thru. Do it once the grass starts to grow.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Need some grass growing help. - February 14th, 2007 at 02:18 AM
spray to kill what is growing. then amend the soil and seed with bermuda, zoysia, st. augustine, etc.

consult the local county extension agent for the best in your area.
Posted By: herbalyn Re: Need some grass growing help. - February 15th, 2007 at 02:08 AM
I second the RugbyHukr recommendation to start with your local extension agent. To locate a contact number: using google type in your town and state. Ask the extension service about a need for soil testing before seeding a lawn.

If several varieties are recommended ask if they can direct you to sites where that grass is growing. Be aware of what is already growing in your area. When you see something you like ask the homeowner or business for the name and if they would recommend it.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]