A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Egyptian Walking Onions - February 6th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
The package says they are edible so I'm going to assume that this is where I should post about them.

I got them in the Fall Fling and just planted them the other day. I was so suprised at how fast they began to grow.

Does anyone know how big the bulb gets? They are in my little yogurt cups and now I'm not sure those are going to work.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 6th, 2007 at 09:24 PM
I'm not too sure, but I would assume at least the size of a regular onion that you can get at the supermarket. I have a neighbour who planted onion (not sure what type) and instead of seeds, she got tiny little bulblets where the blooms used to be
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 6th, 2007 at 09:50 PM
Yep there sure are a bunch of different kinds of onions.
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 6th, 2007 at 10:14 PM
WOW! TK,

I've never heard of Egyptian Walking Onions....I would love to see a picture when they get big enough for a photo opportunity......lol
I hope you can grow enough to get seeds from them.....that would be cool
I have a pregnant onion that i got from a forum buddy back in September....it's doing well....I'm hoping to get baby onions someday, that I can share......

I wonder how many types of onions there are...
Ahaa, reason to be on gardening websites...lol smile
Posted By: dodge Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 7th, 2007 at 02:51 AM
Someone just gave me some Egyptian walking onions.
3 connected to a top stem......
Guess I will plant them after my 2 foot of snow goes away.

b
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 7th, 2007 at 12:02 PM
I broke the camera so no pictures I'm sorry to say. But when it produces it's little bulblets I'll probably post them on the Seed & Cutting Exchange.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 8th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
today one of the plants has three blades up and the rest have two. I love onions they are pretty much so easy to grow.
Posted By: elkwc36 Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 11th, 2007 at 04:25 PM
There is some good information on them at Mountain Valley Growers site. I found it very interesting and answered some questions I had about them. Just go to the herb and perennial list and go down to Allium Cepa.
Posted By: elkwc36 Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 11th, 2007 at 04:34 PM
http://gardening.about.com/od/garde...ing-with-Kids/Egyptian-Walking-Onion.htm

Hope it is ok to post this link. If not please remove it. Another site that tells about this onion. Jay
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 17th, 2007 at 06:16 PM
That is a very strange looking, upsidedown onion!! I had never heard of it or seen it before.
Posted By: Rosie Gardener Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 17th, 2007 at 07:16 PM
Where did you get the Egyption Onions seeds?
Posted By: soil_lover Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 18th, 2007 at 10:02 AM
Egyption onions , as well as their cousin, Catawissia, does not produce seeds. As the onion matures, it will forum little bubils on the top of the stalk. These can be removed to replant or eat. Yhese bubils are replanted in the fall. Each bubil will multiply underground and become three bulbs. I usualy plant mine during October. If you leave the bubils on the plant, the stalk will eventually get heavy, bend to the ground and the bubils will plant themselves. That is where the name walking onion comes from. These are mainly used as green onions. After bubils form, the underground onions stay small but become stronger. They are very tastey in soups, casseroles or just fried.
And you do not have to harvest every onion. Let them go through winter underground and they will multiply fast. Once these onions are established, you will have them for life.
Territorial seed company sells both Egyptian Onion and Catawissia. They also sell potato onions. Its a bit expensive, but as I mentioned before, once you have them, you will have them for life. It seems more and more organic catalogs are investing in these onions. The onions are shipped out in fall as this is the best planting times. I am sure I will have a surplus of my walking onions, so if you contact me in the fall I should be able to send you some.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 19th, 2007 at 12:55 PM
Soil-lover that's fantastic information. I didn't know that about the flavor getting stronger if I leave it in the ground longer.

I don't have any spare ones right now but when I do I too will share.
Posted By: mater sandwich Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 23rd, 2007 at 09:27 PM
These sound pretty interesting. Looking forward to hear how they progress for you.
Posted By: PAR_Gardener Re: Egyptian Walking Onions - February 24th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
soil_lover isn't kidding, these spread like garlic chives and are as difficult to eradicate too. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, but I've weed wacked and mowed over a patch of walking onions, and they still came back.

I grow them for to use in Chinese cooking. My parents and father-in-law (a retired chef and owner of a Chinese restaurant) love it when I give them a few pounds of the stuff. They says the flavor is better and they keep longer than green onions you buy in the store.

I've even dug them up in the fall when the bulbs are fattest, and buried them a good 12" deep. When they sprout, the mild white part will be 12" long, wide and very tender. The greens are no different than if you let them sprout at soil level. They have the sharp, spicy onion flavor.

If anyone is interested, I've picked the bulbs off for the past few years. I let them dry up and die so I don't have these things every where. If anyone wants some PM me. I will send you some for the cost of postage and packing.

BTW, soil_lover, great description. Loved it.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]