A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: woodchuck Was a close race - March 17th, 2007 at 12:18 PM
Last year I started many plants from seed, bought seedlings too, did everything in the usual way to ensure the expected outcome. Specifically though, tomatoes, all the effort put in for the plants was really diminished by the few hundred that came up all by themselves, and produced fruit only one week after the ones I planted, AND they produced fruit later, longer, and the plants/fruit made it through the first frosts unscathed. Same for some other plants as well, made me wonder a little, thought I'd share.
Posted By: webwise Re: Was a close race - March 17th, 2007 at 01:41 PM
Typical ain't it. LOL. laugh laugh wink
Posted By: MLN Re: Was a close race - March 17th, 2007 at 02:14 PM
I had the same experience last year AND, I had a real bad year with every kind of blight known to the kingdom of tomatoes (at least it seemed that way). The volunteers were hardier and didn't get infected as quickly as the store bought ones, which are supposed to be so disease resistant--go figure!! I had to pull everything out in October so I could clean the garden spot for the winter and the volunteers had DOZENS of medium sized green tomatoes. I sure hated to have to throw them all in the compost but they were too small to ripen inside eek Lesson learned!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]