A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - July 24th, 2006 at 01:39 AM
I got seven of these - 2 fer a buck - I dunno' what they are, but I've got a gut feeling they are indeed perennial and they are going to make nice little sprays for me.

[Linked Image]

I need to know what they are though, so I can find a good place on the lot for them.

Right now I've settled for getting them into bigger pots just to see what they want to do.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - July 24th, 2006 at 09:25 AM
wavey Hi Carly,
That looks like it might be Cuphea Hyssopifolia ("Mexican Heather").

Here is a link that might be helpful.
Posted By: Carly Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - August 23rd, 2006 at 05:49 PM
Yep - looks like you're right. Only two of them haven't survived. Those are the two that I kept in bigger pots - I should have put them in the soil immediately.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - August 24th, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Carly, I doubt you'll be able to overwinter Mexican Heather outdoors. They are only hardy to zones 9-10, maybe 8 if given good mulch. I'm not sure what zone you are in. I searched here at GardenHelper but didn't find any care instructions. You might try this website.
Posted By: kennyso Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - August 24th, 2006 at 04:15 AM
2 for a buck! great bargain, the cheapest plants here are at walmart and they're 2 bucks each (the discounted ones!)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - August 24th, 2006 at 05:26 AM
Mexican Heather will NOT over winter,
I tried here in my growing zone 5 and had no luck..
Can you bring them inside??
Posted By: Carly Re: An Idunno', but I just love it . . . - September 6th, 2006 at 08:51 AM
OK - I will.

Thanks for telling me that - I thought they could be overwintered.

Maybe I'll go get the ones that turned yellow too - I cut them back, but I'll bring them inside and see what can be done.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]