A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plants 'n pots new birdbath - February 11th, 2007 at 10:42 PM
I found this small (10 inches high by 10 inches across) ceramic item yesterday, that I assume is a birdbath? I love all things celestial, and this sun said "take me home" immediately! laugh

I thought it would look nice in the garden surrounding the pond, when that's all done. My problem is... the sun part is not glazed. Is there something I can coat it with - a clear coat, so the bird droppings, etc., do not stain, or ruin the sun? Of course I'd want to use something that would be safe for the birds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 11th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
What a totally cool piece! I have no idea how to protect the sunface. But, I really like the birdbath!
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 11th, 2007 at 11:09 PM
I imagine some clear acryllic paint or spray would do the trick.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Thornius:
I imagine some clear acryllic paint or spray would do the trick.
Is that safe for the birds? Because eventually it breaks down some from the sun and stuff....

I really love it Lynne, I would use it to put birdseed in instead of water. thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 12:18 AM
I agree with loz about the dangers of acrylic spray.

But... I don't want to put seed in it, for 2 reasons. Firstly, I wouldn't be able to see the sun, and secondly, I don't want the seeds to grow in the garden there...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 12:23 AM
Lynne, how about some kind of clear wrap? Like Saran Wrap...maybe just on the bottom part and weighted down by a few small rocks? I don't know I'm at a loss....

I'd want to see it too, I just don't know how I'd make it sealed and bird safe. perpl

This one has me stumped. *scratches head*

Do you have to seal it? Could you just make sure to spray it out each day with a hose?
Posted By: Patty S Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
That's a gorgeous piece, Lynne! Duh Gosh, maybe the only thing you can do is to come up with some sort of a clear plastic liner for it.

I'm sure looking forward to watching your pond area come to life! [Linked Image]
Posted By: melcon6 Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 12:45 AM
My daughter got that same one I think for her Auntie. I'll ask her if she did anything with it. My other sister does ceramics in her basement and I think she might have clear glazed it and fired it for her. Not sure, I'll check.
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
That is a beautiful piece!!! I will try to remember to ask the teacher in my ceramics class Thursday night
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 01:14 AM
Thanks all!

I'm not sure it can be glazed again, mel - it might crack.

I think I might just have to try and stay up on it and clean it more than I'd like to have to...
Posted By: Wrennie Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 01:01 PM
It was probably left unglazed for the birds safety. Completely smooth or glazed bird baths are slippery. Birds need a rough or not slippery anyway surface to get a footing. I can send you some sample packets of an enzyme you add to bath water, perfectly safe for birds, that help break down droppings and algae, keeping the bath clean.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 01:39 PM
I did know about the slippery factor, Wrennie, but didn't think about it where this was concerned. Good thinking!

I've not heard of that enzyme - what is it?
That would be great if you have some samples you could share!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 01:59 PM
I LOVE it Lynne...how cool!!!
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 02:39 PM
My wife LUVED it and wants one for our house, too. We have a huge concrete birdbathnow, but plan on adding several more.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 06:21 PM
Where did you buy that Lynne? I forgot to ask.....

I never thought about the slippery factor either..... shocked
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 07:22 PM
it's a gorgeous piece!!! i'd hang it up somewhere, rather than use it for the birds.

too pretty to not be seen and appreciated!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 07:40 PM
loz - I got it at Marshalls on Saturday - you know, one of those... see it, must have it, better get it because it was the only one... type purchases!

Joclyn - thanks! It has a pedestal base, and is not meant for hanging. It will be seen plenty in the garden I'm planning for around the new pond, so I'm not worried about that!
Posted By: Triss Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 10:38 PM
That is a bautiful piece Lynne and a great addition for your new garden area!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 12th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
loz - I got it at Marshalls on Saturday - you know, one of those... see it, must have it, better get it because it was the only one... type purchases!
laugh I know those purchases all too well. laugh shocked

We don't have a Marshalls around here.... :p Wish we did.
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 13th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
We have Marshalls here. One of my favorite stores.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: new birdbath - February 13th, 2007 at 12:01 PM
We have a Marshalls and Homestyles. grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 14th, 2007 at 06:21 AM
marshalls ALWAYS has some nice stuff. and they always seem to be of the 'see it, must have it, better get it because it was the only one' type!!

i didn't realize it was attached to a base. just make sure you put it in a spot that is frequented often. that's really too pretty to not be seen!!
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 14th, 2007 at 06:40 AM
We have another store like Marshalls here in Nashville it is called, "Ross' Dress for Less" We buy 90% of our stuff from these two stores.
Posted By: MLN Re: new birdbath - February 15th, 2007 at 03:17 PM
I love it too but, gosh darn it, we don't have a Marshall's around here. I just happen to need a new one. My old one got cracked when we moved but that's O.K.--gives me an excuse to go look for a pretty one like yours laugh

Marleine
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 15th, 2007 at 09:16 PM
Walmart sells massive concrete birdbaths for $20.00. I fill mine up with marbles and colored glass beads and put a larger rough item in the center as a resting island.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 15th, 2007 at 09:34 PM
Will do, Joclyn! wink

Thorny - I miss Ross stores!!!
We had one very nearby when we lived in Reno, another lifetime ago!

I must thank Wrennie for sending me the packets of enzymes for the birdbath! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! kissies flw clp

Now I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can put the bath outside. The ceramic would not stand a chance out there now, even though I saw TONS of birds today on the deck. The temp. on our deck right now in full sun is only 19, and the wind is blowing fiercely!

Marleine - do you have a TJMaxx, or HomeGoods?
They are both owned by the same company as Marshalls, and often carry the same items.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 03:45 AM
About the same time Lynne got the birdbath I got a new one too! When I saw the thread she started I thought she found out I got a new birdbath laugh laugh laugh

Lynne's is amazing and the two don't compare -- but mine was only $32 and has two frogs squirting water!! [Linked Image] I got it at Peeples... I waited and waited for the sales. the price tag on it is $120.. . I got it for 40% off half price plus another 15%...yippee

But, My first thought was -- I don't remember starting that!!!! Then I saw Lynne started it and I wondered how she knew I got a new birdbath laugh laugh laugh It was a very funny few seconds!
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 04:00 AM
My wife and I hope to get a solar powered birdbath with fountain this year. The more fountains and baths you have, the more birds you will attract and the greater variety of species you will attract.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 02:17 PM
grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 03:03 PM
Or did I get a new cat bed???? [Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 03:23 PM
Jane!!! Mine does not compare to yours!!!
And what a value you got - it's wonderful!

Your kittie thinks so too!
Even blends right in - hope it doesn't go outside - the birds would never stand a chance!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 05:12 PM
I love your Birdbath... It would make for some fine picture taking wink And I love Marshalls too .. but I knew I got he better sale price grinnnn

We have dink peeble and they had four of these on a table taking up all that space for months and months... oh, I was getting one cheap!!!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 05:22 PM
Aaawwwwwwww.
Good thing there wasnt water in it when kitty jumped in! laugh
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 05:30 PM
Here is the birdbath my wife and I plan to buy this year......MAYBE!

Frog Birdbath
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 08:31 PM
Just came back from checking another Marshalls and TJMaxx - nada!

I was hoping to find another one to maybe share at summer camp! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 09:12 PM
I think peebles have one more of the one I got and it will be $31.50 today, but I am not going to summer camp and what would I do with two shk
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 09:17 PM
That's an amazing birdbath Thorny! Solar too, that's great and no a bad price either. I just went to birdbaths.com and looked at solar stuff there. I got a great price on my heated bird bath from them.

Anyway, solar birdbaths get expensive fast... You have found a great bargain and really, really cool design. You should get it before spring migration!!

Go to birdbaths.com you'll know what great value you found!
Posted By: Thornius Re: new birdbath - February 16th, 2007 at 09:47 PM
I looked at birdbaths.com
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]