A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: bluegrassmom More container questions - March 17th, 2007 at 01:17 PM
Hello, I've been lurking for awhile but am now coming out of the woodwork with my questions. All of my planting will have to be done in containers. But what I'm having trouble with is figuring out how many plants can be put into a container. I'm thinking about those rectangle rubbermaid containers and perhaps some half barrels as well. Thinking of planting green peppers, beans-I have a latticed area, raspberries, tomatoes and well, who knows what else. But surely, I'm not going to have to just stick in one plant per container? Help?
Posted By: myndful Re: More container questions - March 17th, 2007 at 10:44 PM
You can plant pretty intensively in those rubbermaid containers. Since whiskey barrels are bigger, they would hold more. I think the key is to use container soil, which has more added nutrients than regular garden soil.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: More container questions - March 18th, 2007 at 12:41 AM
good answer myndful. generally, you can companion plant one tomato plant or pepper plant in a 5 gallon bucket with something else. so, if you are using an 18 gal rubbermaid, you can do 3-5 plants, plus companion plants.

i assume you are going to put holes in them for drainage right?
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: More container questions - March 18th, 2007 at 02:16 AM
I grow all kinds of plants in containers and have for years.
The soil you'll need will always be potting soil.
The bags of soil will be labeled either "garden soil" or "potting soil".
You want potting soil.
You're gonna have fun too ! Good luck ! wavey
Posted By: weezie13 Re: More container questions - March 19th, 2007 at 01:27 PM
Peppers have an extensive root system,
for a smaller sized container, I'd stick only
one plant..
You might be able to grow different lettuce's under them,
as they are shallow rooting and wouldn't interfer with the deeper roots of the pepper plants..

Also Tomato plants can *and should have a deep planting
to establish good roots for the support of the taller plants,
and also lettuce can be grown there..

And lettuce appreciates' some shade
provided by those plants, in the hot summer time...

You can have blocks of corn with either
beans or peas grown up the stalks...
*just make sure you give the corn a good head start to establish, before putting in the beans/peas..*
and the beans and peas will put nitrogen back into the soil for the heavy nitrogen feeding corn loves..
*make sure soil in your bucket is filled with good soil, compost and vermiculite/perlite to give it light, airy texture and provide good air/oxygen for the roots of the plants...*

Here's a bucket I have just for some peas,
but you could put in 6 corn in an outter circle and then the beans/peas up the stalks at each base..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: More container questions - March 19th, 2007 at 01:33 PM
Here's some Swiss Chard in a rectangle plastic window box I got at like Wal~Mart or a Dollar General...

***Mine is over filled, and I wouldn't recommend over filling them, but posted a picture to show it can be done... p/s I grew mine mostly for color***
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: More container questions - March 19th, 2007 at 01:46 PM
Okay, here's even just one more..
*Depending on what you want to do,
or have on hand... this next one is just an idea*
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/100_1761.jpg?t=1174311918[/img]

It's an old kiddie pool that have several cracks in it..
Now this one has straight peatmoss in it,
but holds only plants that like wet feet..
The water loving iris's are in heaven..
Posted By: dodge Re: More container questions - March 19th, 2007 at 11:37 PM
What I do in container planting ..Flowers of course.........
I cluster plant int the center and around the ends put something short like a marigold or something that hangs down.

if they get too crowded, Just remove some.

I did nasturtiums in a large barrel type last year.
Dwarf marigold grow nice in there........Or shade loving flowers, Like Imps...

Good luck ..
Our snow doesnt allow it yet.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]