A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: quiltingmom07 really want a rose bush - March 21st, 2007 at 03:28 AM
Help,
Does anyone know of a rose bush that is thornless?

Really mowing around the ones with thorns do not work for our family.

Is there any type that is truly "thornless"?

I would love to know the name of one if they exist as I am in the process of planning a new flower bed for the new tree peony that is coming. Yeah!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: really want a rose bush - March 21st, 2007 at 03:45 AM
i don't have any thornless ones, but most of mine, i have in beds so they aren't where they "grab" you when you mow. so far, no problems.

that said, i know of several restaurants that use the lady banks climbing rose by their entrance ways, and i've never seen anyone get snagged on them either.
Posted By: jonni13 Re: really want a rose bush - March 21st, 2007 at 03:57 AM
Lady Banks (Rosa Banksia) roses are very nearly thornless. They are a climbing or rambling rose in either Yellow (most prolific bloomer) or White ( heavenly sweet violet smell). They only bloom once a year for about a month to 6 weeks or so. The yellow slightly earlier than the white.
Here in S. Cal. they just started blooming. Small (1 inch or so) yellow roses that cover the plants til you can hardly see any leaves. They can be kept as a shrub with attention to pruning. They are an evergreen plant here.
Posted By: webwise Re: really want a rose bush - March 21st, 2007 at 06:44 AM
Zephrine Drouhin is a deep pink thornless climber that if kept pruned will bush. Only problem is, in later years, like many 'old fashioned' roses, it is prone to black spot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLN Re: really want a rose bush - March 21st, 2007 at 11:28 AM
I have a Lady Banks and just love it. Don't know where you live, but like jonni's, mine is evergreen here. I haven't noticed any thorns on it. Currently I'm just letting it grow in a natural fountain shape but plan to get hubby to build a short section of split rail fence to train it on. They have a very graceful form and are just beautiful.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]