A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Meg Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
Ok, when it started out small.. I was thinking "fernlike", and started to wonder if it was more of the q.a.l. I have everywhere. But now, it's gotten much bigger, and it's definately not looking like the q.a.l. and there's funny looking cone shaped things at the top now. It's about hip high to me.. maybe 3' tall?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
RAGWEED
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 10:39 AM
got a bunch of that too - when they're seedlings, they kinda look like qal or poison hemlock...so of course I assumed it was poison hemlock and very carefully removed those I found while doing the plastic bag dance :rolleyes: What a dunce I am sometimes laugh
Posted By: Meg Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 04:21 PM
EVILLLLLL!!! NOOOO!!! IT MUST DIE!!!! Going to hack it out today! I thought ragweed was that other UGLY thing I have.. LOTS of LONG clusters of seeds.. I'll have to photo those for ya. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH choooooo! laugh

Meg
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
I don't have problem with it,
like sneezing...

But I do keep a few around in my "Garden Weed Patch"...for the Black and Yellow Argiope / Orb Spider I just love them... they like Japanese Beetles..
And they are just down right cooooool to look at.
The kids love to find them in there..
We usually don't see much of them until late summer/fall time..
Posted By: Meg Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 07:50 PM
I saw one of those spiders at my friend's house one day, in her backyard. Actually, really close to her back door. sca There were also 2 egg sacs. I was kinda freaking out, & told her she should try to get rid of it.. it was so big & scary looking! But, she calmly explained she was a helpful garden spider, and wouldn't bother us. Still. sca They are sooooo big!

But you're right, they are neat lookin. wink
Meg
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
They look like they have an Alien on their backs!!
Posted By: jmacd Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 09:49 PM
Meg and Mary -- wavey don't be embarrassed about not knowing it was ragweed. Duh nutz shocked
jmacd
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 11th, 2005 at 10:02 PM
I always think they are a marigold volunteer
in the very begining!!!! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Carly Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - August 24th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
When I first came to this forum, I put up pictures of my ragweed - called it 'this little ferny thing'.

Ha ha! I still like it though - I'm guilty of having it in my rock garden and other little spots.
Posted By: lwilk56 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 3rd, 2005 at 11:05 AM
Don't burn it I've heard it smells like marajuana. Duh
Posted By: lwilk56 Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 3rd, 2005 at 11:10 AM
My hubby says it don't look like ragweed to him. Maybe our ragweed don't grow to 3 or 4 ft. in Ok.
Posted By: Carly Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 5th, 2005 at 12:38 PM
Oh, burn it, burn it . . .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 10th, 2005 at 11:57 AM
i think i've got some of that growing in with the peony that i transplanted from the neighbors yard. asked my friend what it was & she said something - some kind of geranium? can't remember what she called it - but she was sure that it was a plant and not a weed.

hmm, will have to look at it when it's daylight...i'm reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy allergic to ragweed. i've always wondered what it looked like. thanks, very much for posting the pic
Posted By: papito Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 10th, 2005 at 08:51 PM
Here's another picture of ragweed.
ragweed 2
Posted By: HesterPryse Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 27th, 2005 at 02:52 AM
I always thought ragweed and the stuff I call horse weed were the same thing. Horse weed is the one with much bigger flowers. Just goes to show you, there is always something new to learn in the garden!!!

I love those orb spiders too. I have 2 in my yard right now. Hopefully they will make many babies and eat up all the Japanese Beetles next year!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ragweed {pic saved} - September 27th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
weezie, awesome spider link! i have those around here, i'll have to show scott and matthew the link so they will leave them alone. laugh laugh
also, i'm closing thise thread now that the plant is positively indentified thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]