A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: woodchuck Sweet potato vine started - January 23rd, 2007 at 04:04 PM
Well, January is the time to start the sweet potato vines around here, my starting tater is from the neighbor, and has been sitting in 1-1/2" of water for a couple weeks now, and has a couple nice shoots and a bunch more baby ones starting.

Last years vines from Wal-Mart gave up half a bushel from 9 vines, so I'm looking forward to getting 2 bushels or more from this attempt.

On another note, december was so nice around here I was tilling in my fall leaves into the garden, yeah, that's what I thought, tilling in the cheeseland in december, sheesh.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 23rd, 2007 at 06:17 PM
Be sure to post some pictures once they really take off ok thumbup
Posted By: woodchuck Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 23rd, 2007 at 07:21 PM
Will do. I can already taste them dripping with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar. mmmmmm
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 23rd, 2007 at 07:47 PM
That sounds really good doesnt it!!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 24th, 2007 at 12:52 PM
How do you start them? I've never done them. What do they require?
Posted By: woodchuck Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 24th, 2007 at 05:03 PM
Well, get yourself one of those orange tater's see, in the fall, let it sit in the house out of the way till new years, some little sprouts may start on their own, leave them be, then, first of january, put the tater in a jar with about 1" of water in it,or just below the lowest sprout, small end in the water.

Somewhere down the line the little sprouts will become vines, let them get as long as they want, when you can get a three node length off the end of a 6node long vine, snip it and put the end in a jar of water, let er get some sun, roots should start growin.

At least one month after the threat of frost is passed, then start yer vines in the garden, the young plants are not very tolerant to a late frost. The mature plants in the fall do okay though. There ya have it.

That's how the neighbor does it, and he has fresh greens year round, and his vines get 6'-8'long, so it must work.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Sweet potato vine started - January 24th, 2007 at 05:42 PM
Just a note-all potato vines and leaves are highly toxic to kids and pets.
kit
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]