A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 3rd, 2007 at 05:08 PM
In the 1st "Brug starts" thread, Njoynit posted some Great sites to refer to.., in learning about brugs along the way. Njoynit has been very helpful and got me started in brugs. (As a review) This is my first year starting them And I have many starts that was jarred with water to white nodule stage, then potted up , leafed out, looked good, then got spidermites ( I think) Duh Then leave drop , nice weather came along and I took outside and leaves started coming back on I just brought back in the house lastnight ( hard freeze for the Next two nights) Next week back to the 70's I'll take back out and prepare ground for planting in, at which time pictures will be taken ,, thumbup cool

I've got to get a hostess to help post brug starts 1 here!! lala Done....Brug Starts topic 1

http://countrygdn.com/infosheets/yandsub.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=Creamsickle%20brugmansia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wi
http://michiganbulb.com/search.asp?ss=brugmansia&x=14&y=7

http://www.fbmg.com/gallery1/angeltrumpets/angeltrumpets1.htm

Sybils posted this site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

Here's to many Brug blooms this spring and summer!!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 3rd, 2007 at 06:44 PM
Thanks Loz! kissies wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 3rd, 2007 at 06:52 PM
You're very welcome, I always tell people to make sure you ask if you need help--it's why I'm here.....to help as much as I can. kissies kissies
Posted By: Nicksgram Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 4th, 2007 at 06:32 PM
These are beautiful!! I've never heard of Brugs before.

Do these flowers attract hummingbirds?

Sharon
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 4th, 2007 at 07:41 PM
hmmmm don't know Sharon if humming birds like these or not!!! And Yesss they are beautiful and smell wonderful!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 4th, 2007 at 09:18 PM
i got seeds started that i orderd from seedman.com.
golden queen frilled double brug
brazilian treasure brug
red tree brug
and a double ballerina purple datura
and njoynits gonna send me cuttings! so im hopin to have a realy nice brug bed going this summer!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 4th, 2007 at 09:55 PM
Ohhhh Goood Sybil!!! !!!!! I have a purple datura I need to get started!!( seeds) Ohh Boy Guess I'll do that today!!! thumbup flw
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 5th, 2007 at 03:33 AM
laugh i got another pack of datura seeds to start, got them from the last swap. i have no idea what kind or who their from the package just says datura. laugh grinnnn so i'll be planting a mystery datura laugh
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 5th, 2007 at 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Nicksgram:
These are beautiful!! I've never heard of Brugs before.

Do these flowers attract hummingbirds?

Sharon
Hummers love brugs if any are open during the day. They mostly bloom at night and the scent is a heavenly honey with a hint of lemon.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 5th, 2007 at 02:09 PM
I've seen hummers in them in the morning time.They still have some smell early in the morning ....plus I'm uselly up about 4:30....and not uncommon to let the dog pee at 1-3 am and walk out and smell them (Well.I'm already up!)

I have my dauntra's winter sowed.I guess should check on them all.Its been a few days since I looked at them.I have one bed prepared & few spots picked out.Even picked a spot for one at one of my fishing holes.My dormant one in garage,has woke up.the ones in ground have towels on just for last night....they have woke up too.foliage is growing on my love in a puff(very neat plant..........)Mine are going back out on table tomorow...proably the bar this time.My brug seeds are sprouting up too.2 trays have at least 5 up and 3 in the other.
I'm so glad I've not had alot of problems with wintering so many over.I think the hardest part has been keeping the laundry room below 70.It's been easier keeping it above 50 then below 70 LOL
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 5th, 2007 at 02:24 PM
Is there a difference between datura and brugs?
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 5th, 2007 at 05:22 PM
not much diffrence its in the genus and erect flowers laugh this explaines it brtter, i'd just confuuse ya,if i tried to explain it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

im new to brugs and datura thisyear so im just learning wink reading alot of njoynits and diane's posts have helped me wink

dixie do you have brugs or datura?
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 6th, 2007 at 12:11 AM
Dianna From what I understand The brugs flower( trumpets) hang down and are more tree like growth and the datura flower( trumpets Are bloomed Upward and are more shrub grown /???

AHHH Sybil I sent out datura on the last seed exchange They were White and grows in a shrub!
Bloom
[Linked Image]

Bloom buds get really long!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 6th, 2007 at 02:31 AM
Thanks for the link, Christy. No, I don't have one yet, but am going to buy a yellow one for my mother's memorial garden that I am planning...

Wow! Diane, those are fantastic looking!
Thanks for the explanation on the difference...

Now another question for you to answer, please. Are both considered Angel trumpets?

Dianna
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 6th, 2007 at 02:56 AM
HLC! diane thats more than beauitful!!!!!!!!
i hope i got your seeds! were they in a folded paper?

dixie yep both share the name angle trumpets cause of their flowers.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 6th, 2007 at 08:24 PM
I can't wait to get my brug starts! clp clp
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 7th, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Originally posted by sibyl:
HLC! diane thats more than beauitful!!!!!!!!
i hope i got your seeds! were they in a folded paper?

dixie yep both share the name angle trumpets cause of their flowers.
Sybil Ahhhh Can't remember May have been in a tiny manilla envelope OR a seed packet made from a templet on net Sorry I really can't remember!! What color was the folded paper? I'll look around and see if I have anymore If I do have more I'll send with the donkey tail spurge okay?
thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 7th, 2007 at 03:50 AM
it was a plain white pice of papper in the shape of a square folded up with black seeds inside. alls it said was datura laugh i didnt even know what a datura was till i started reading your topic on brugs thumbup if they arnt yours let me know i'll send ya some. there was like a little over 40 seeds in it.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 7th, 2007 at 01:55 PM
black seeded dauntra may be the jimson weed one,or the stramonuim which is smaller flowers some are white with purple throat& the other is a pale liliac with purple throat the flowers don't always seem to open all the way but they both smell great.I sent some in the fling....and this time too.

you'll see the brugmansia& dauntra both marketed as angel trumpets.you can tell their differance in the flowers direction.

I have dauntra seeds winter sown.I hope they are all fine cause I've not really checked on them but once.
my love in a puff is sprouting.even takes cold well too it seems.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 7th, 2007 at 08:28 PM
oooo njoynit maybe i goy your seeds then wink thanks for the info! they sound pretty!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 8th, 2007 at 03:33 AM
Originally posted by sibyl:
it was a plain white pice of papper in the shape of a square folded up with black seeds inside. alls it said was datura laugh i didnt even know what a datura was till i started reading your topic on brugs thumbup if they arnt yours let me know i'll send ya some. there was like a little over 40 seeds in it.
Nope it wasn't mine then~~~ I'll have to look up jamison weed I'll look this weekend to see if I have any more of my datura white ~ I call them moonflower bush K?
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 8th, 2007 at 04:14 AM
k- and i'll send ya some of therse datura seeds!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 8th, 2007 at 04:21 AM
Sybil I found some!!! I'll get them out to you with the next week!!! thumbup flw I start these in wet paper towels when there is two leaves I plant in peatmoss in ground and keep moist they like a lot of feeding once they start growing , and love compost!!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 8th, 2007 at 08:33 PM
cool thanks diane! kissies
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 12th, 2007 at 12:15 AM
Okay Guys!! I did it ! I planted all but one brug in ground today the last one in a pot a Verrrrrry large pot!!! I'm not sure if I did it right tho Because it was a rather tall start with leaves at the top but many sprouts were starting along the stock,,

Njoynit should I have planted the brugs deeper in the pot to shorten it with more depth or did I do it right?? Duh
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 12th, 2007 at 12:38 AM
wow! clp your so liucky you can plant outside right now!

i got my brug bed half way dug up.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 12th, 2007 at 12:57 AM
Well at least your soil will be admended and ready to go when weather permits. thumbup thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 12th, 2007 at 06:26 PM
I usually plant them deeper than the they we're in pot (more roots to drink with) I potted one yesterday(Versicolor orange from Dott) I tilled in 7 dozen of hubbys dead minnnows(He didn't put the minnow bucket in lake....didn't want me too...fraid I wouldn't return I guess Duh Then was only able to buy 2 doz...all that was left lala )Any way...his mishap went to good use. I've been cleaning the yard up this weekend...ya know...something I started Monday,then was fishing all week.I'm sore now.

Dianne.I restrung my rod.I used my fishing gnomes fishing rod to hold the spool.He sure is handy.You would have loved hanging with me Friday.I almost feel in lake thinking I could stand barefoot on slimey log to unhook fishing hook.....least I fell back into boat. It sucks when your anchor gets stuck too.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 13th, 2007 at 06:14 AM
njoynit! you make me wanna go fishing again! even though i caught more tree branches than anything else! laugh honestly! people duck when i toss the line out!,we dont have to many lakes anymore from the flooding we got,broke most the dams, i grew up on dutchfork lake, its a shame to see it all dried up. i think the only thing i ever caught in my life was a bluegill.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 15th, 2007 at 07:35 AM
got the brug bed dug out, but i think i want it alittle wider? how wide should it be?
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 16th, 2007 at 09:50 PM
Njoynit just told me that she sent my brugs today! thumbup
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 16th, 2007 at 11:44 PM
woo hoo! jessica!
i know you'll be watching your mail! thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 17th, 2007 at 04:22 PM
My Brugs are now in ground and one in a pot. most of you know I had started these inside. I took out for a while and had to bring in( bad/cold weather :rolleyes: ) then had problems inside with leave drop and I think it was spidermites eek . Luckily the weather started warming and I have since had outside for about 3 weeks before planting in ground;during which time new leave growth has begun and they are looking much better!!. I admended the soil with my compost and composted sheep manure and premium bedding soil and waited a few days before setting in ground.. Now they are happy!! thumbup Keeping my fingers crossed that I did everything right and I will get at least some blooms out of one or two of this this year ,, I know blooms form above the 'Y' and some of these already have 'Y's where as other ones don't have a 'Y' as yet.. Keeping fingers crossed here!! these are 'adora' and 'cotton candy'
[Linked Image]

these are 'pale yellow' and 'snowcone'
[Linked Image]

Continued..........
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 17th, 2007 at 04:31 PM
continued.........,

this is 'unnamed pink' from Njoynit thumbup

[Linked Image]

these are 'pink beauty' and 'Charles Grimaldi'

[Linked Image]

This one in the pot is 'Unnamed Pink'

[Linked Image]

Now I just wait! flw flw flw
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 17th, 2007 at 05:46 PM
wow! their lookin great! they must realy like it outside,
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 17th, 2007 at 05:55 PM
I still just have my one in ground....but I been fishing alot.I've cleared out 100 ft of fence row of youpon hollys& whatever else was growing.I did take the time to dump the water out of the trays under the brugs.I've now killed all my variegted starts.Got my 2 cans of white spray paint for garden shelves And need to be back cleaning my beds....but changed my bobbers from lighted back to daytime floaters.
And I've had hummers in the yard...the 12th.
your lattice reminds me I need to clean mine.has green stuff cause is on north side of house.

And I ordered 10 white flowering dogwoods from arbor Day for $10.The dogwood special ends March 31st.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 17th, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Njoynit~~ I swear You doo soo much labor!! Good thing you can fish to reward yourself!! How'd ya kill your varigated starts?? eek
I have a hummer bird feeder out But I haven't seen any, Shoot I really wanted to see one this year,, I understand March is when they'll be seen in my area.. But I'll just keep looking!!!

The brug in the pot ~~ should I have planted it deeper or is it okay being that tall to start out???
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 19th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
What I hate is they show up......and not hardly ANY blooms.They go the red bud tree.I have a different daff blooming and they've had it.mostly the feeder though& the carolina jasmine.and I seen one saturday eat a bug.Hummer feeder needs filled again too.

I cleaned pond out.drained so far down.then filled back up.Then dropped in minnow buckets(pond plants are still on railing.I was letting the water settle) since then,,,,I'm down to one minnow bucket,but have added Betty Marshall,Monika,Daydreams,tropical sunset 2 daylilly divsions I about mangled with like 2-3 roots only on them...... I also added a Dr suess trunk that didn't bloom last year its about 3 ft.and my 2 dwarf bananas are in front of pond on each side of Monika.I have creamsickle in front of computer window just feet away from the satsuma orange tree(It's in a climate zone& can always hang a sheet from roof.this is the southern corner of house.)

Sibyl...I'm thinking of mailing yours.I see you have snow chance today....but rain rest of week and lows in 40s.I need to check be sure I have a very long box.I have a back up trunk that I won't need now.
I'll put pictures up and come back.I need to unload the shot of a lure in Matt"s a$$.It was too funny.I wish I'd used vid mode.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 19th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
whoo hoo! yep and highs 50-60 by this weekend!! im so glad! it may rain but it will be warm and no snow! thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 03:11 PM
I got my package in the mail yesterday from njoynit! Duh I need help! eek
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 05:11 PM
Jessica I put my brug cutting in jars of water until you see little white nodules and maybe some root <-- that may take a couple of weeks not long tho,, I changed out the water every 3 or 4 days so it didn't get stagnit.. then pot up in gallon size pots until a stonger root system developes This is the way Njoynit had me start mine! thumbup

Just stick the spider plant babies in some potting soil and they should be fine,, The MOT I put mine in a mix of cactus soil and potting soil and it has been fine!
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 05:24 PM
Hi Diane! wavey

The brugs already have roots! So, should I just pot them up right away? I got like 3 or 4 stalks of each kind. Do I put them all in one pot or separate every one of them? So, I got 4 different kinds. Should I have 4 pots of them or 12 - 16 pots of them? Duh Don't mean to sound so ignorant but this is my first time with them.

I will pot up the spider plants tonight and the MOT. I didn't realize that one needed some cactus soil so I am glad I asked. thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 05:34 PM
Honestly I don't know for sure that MOT does need cactus soil BUt that's what I did mixed with potting soil and It seems happy !!

WOW Three or four each of each kind!!!!! Duh how long are the roots now??
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 05:40 PM
The roots are pretty long. I don't think I need to let them grow any more roots before potting them up. I just thought that maybe I should let them hydrate a bit after their long journey here.

Yet it will be a while before I can put them outside! Now, to find that many gallon pots! Duh

I am so excited to have these! thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 06:51 PM
I had my brugs in the south facing windows. a lot of huge pots?? Well you do have a lot to pot up and depends how big you want them to grow.. Njoynit can really help you a lot better then Me cuz I'm learning from her too, Plus our weather is sooo different from yours with a longer growing season, I plan on leaving mine in ground and come next winter I'll just cut back and heavily mulch over

I'm just saying it worked for me~~ Right now I have the MOT outside and it has grown two new leaves just since takin it out!! thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 22nd, 2007 at 08:01 PM
I just didn't know how big of pots I need for when I put them outside?!? Duh There is no way mine would make it outside in the winter so they will have to go in the basement. I just thought it would be easier to have them in pots so that I can bring them in when needed. Hopefully njoynit will come by soon and give me some advice! thumbup

I wish I could put MOT and other plants outside right now! eek It is warming up here but not even close to being warm enough to have them outside yet! I am glad that your MOT is doing so well! I need to stop after work and get some potting soil so that I can pot up all these new plants njoynit sent to me! thumbup
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 23rd, 2007 at 04:54 AM
grinnnn
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 23rd, 2007 at 02:36 PM
i thought about keeping some in a pot too cause of my zone, i wonder if theyd keep in a cold green house in the winter?
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 23rd, 2007 at 04:09 PM
diane you have one in a pot, is it growing as good as the ones in the ground? it looks good![thumbs up]
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 24th, 2007 at 01:53 PM
sorry.I been fishing.Brugs are on way to Christy now.I have a confirmation #03021790000174420961 Its a LOOOONG BOX.Its actually 2 long boxes taped together.Their is a bottom& top marked on box.may be easier to open from bottom and haul out from bottom.The box is stuffed& yes....you have a 3 ft plant inside.you have a trunk cutting with my cats claw prints,thats what the scratches are on the trunk.

Ok.YES glad they arrived.Yes soak in water for the day to rehydrate the roots.qt pots will get you to your spring.I pulled the leaves off before shipping.When you go to pot up in their growing pots a 3 gallon would proably do fine.If you wonder over to ABADS they show growing in pots that are sunk in ground with holes drilled in them.I do know that a qt pot is too small for doing that cause I tried it.The plant grew slower.It has overwintered fine,but will do it this time in 3 gallon pot not qt pot. My MOT is in regular potting mix.those stem cuttings should root right up.I know they'll water root,but I usually just stuff in soil and water.you'll be shareing them soon.I've also seen the babies will winter over fine and sprout right up like an army of millions in your pots.I'm seeing them now.oh and some of mine are in south facing and some east facing.
Fishings been great.I bet I've went through 20 dozen minnows.One night I caught 120 lbs of catfish in 2 hours(may be why my arm is so dam sore)all we're over 10 lbs and the largest was 40 lbs.they filled 3 laundry baskets.I had a bass pull me off the boat in the water yesterday afternoon.never lost my hat or beer or rod.set beer in boat then tossed hat in finished catching my big bass.I now know why is a fishing tournament rule to keep feet inside of boat....if you hang feet in water....if start sliding.....water don't stop you from moving.the water actually felt good.I did NOT like having feet tangled in lilly pads.I'll load pictures up later.I didn't have the camera with with me for the catfish.I had went down Trinity river to fish in Liberty co.I did take a shot of Russ holding my dunker bass.I've also learned what a rock bass is& caught more turtles than fish wensday...one which bite my hook in half...so I ran him over in road in a few times.it was a bad turtle day.they we're stalking me.
I swear it.I moved and they followed...till I changed fishing lakes.
I have planted more brugs out.charles has the largest buds for now and will bloom next month sometime.Daydreams& Monika have buds too....close to ground.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 24th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
I have kept one in cold GH.let go dormant& sprouts in spring when temps warm up.keep on dry side.My temps do dip close to freezeing but only a short time and rarely longer than 6 hours.I didn't track temps in the garage.I was also informed no plants would go in there next year(yeah ok....well see,but If I need garage I'm taking it.)

For me they do better in ground.pots will go through more water I think,but their soil is warmer sometimes too.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts~~ 2nd addition - March 24th, 2007 at 06:58 PM
thanks njoynit!!!!
hey the fourm has been moved heres a link.
http://www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php go there thats were we all are
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]