A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Livnlet Air Plants - March 5th, 2007 at 04:58 PM
Hi all,
I just recently purchased a nice wallhanging with Airplants. The plants are stapeled onto the wood with moss as a base. I read that the moss is not good and I would have to take the plants of once every 10 days to soak in water. It was suggested to use velcro dots to secure the plants.
Can anyone give me any suggestions how to take care of Airplants. The Arrangement was quite expensive and I would not want to kill the plants.
Thank you.
Elisabeth.
Posted By: Milin Re: Air Plants - March 5th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
Airplants are rather difficult to care about.
Exactly which airplant did you buy ?

Milin
Posted By: Livnlet Re: Air Plants - March 5th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
I do not know the species names.
I will take a picture and see if I can post it.
Elisabeth
Posted By: Aaron D Re: Air Plants - March 6th, 2007 at 03:46 AM
did you buy it at the Dallas home and garden show??? at the bromeliad booth? im a member at the Greater Dallas/ Ft Worth Bromeliad Soc. I you bought it at our booth someone should have givin you a handout(that i wrote) ... with care info
Posted By: Aaron D Re: Air Plants - March 6th, 2007 at 04:00 AM
are they tillandsias (grey and fuzzy) or a soft leafed assortment?? the moss shouldn't matter unless they are fuzzy then you should unmount if your keeping indoors, if not, if your going to keep it outdoors keeping the moss on would help since we are going to have a hot and dry spring... tillandsias( grey-scally airplants) like humidity but not standing water... if you are going to keep your airplant indoors unmounting it and even hanging it upside down will help... make sure the leaves dont stay wet for more than a few hours, and a fan helps dry them off quickly... if you have a soft bromeliad (not scally) but are also called airplants because they can be mounted, keeping the moss weather you keep them indoors or outdoors they like very high humidity and love water in the center "tank" let me know if you have anymore questions or if you want any of our handouts/ meeting information your more than welcome to attend a meeting if you want...

--AARON
Posted By: Livnlet Re: Air Plants - March 8th, 2007 at 06:02 AM
Hi AAron,
Thank you for your reply.
I bought the plants at a Central Market Store.
I missed the Dallas Home and Garden Show.
Is it coming to Forth Worth next?
Please e-mail me through the forum and I can send you a picture of the plants.
I liked the arrangement and I have them hanging on my Dining room wall. I had an empty spot after I discarded an old wreath.

Liz
Posted By: TomR Re: Air Plants - March 12th, 2007 at 01:06 AM
If they are Tills spray very well once a week. Spray with 1/4 strength Miracle grow every 2-3 weeks.

Tom
Posted By: Amber Petersen Re: Air Plants - March 16th, 2007 at 04:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure what an airplant is... can some one post a picture for me? Sounds cool....
Posted By: TomR Re: Air Plants - March 16th, 2007 at 09:46 PM
http://www.collectorscorner.com.au/Tillandsias/Tillandsia.htm

Do a google search on Tillandsia
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]