Posted By: Bill Birds and Butterflies - April 2nd, 2005 at 01:38 AM
The Joy of Feeding Birds. Creating a Bird Friendly Garden

Garden Plants Which Attract and Feed Birds

Flowers and Plants which Attract Hummingbirds to your Garden

Creating a Butterfly Friendly Garden

Flutterbys, a free screen saver

grinnnn
Posted By: Sheri&Kiki Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 2nd, 2005 at 02:07 AM
Thank you, Bill! This is excellent! I'm planning on doing my backyard this year, and DH and myself are wanting an area for the birds and squirrels. This just gave me lots to look at! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

wavey grinnnn
Posted By: CoolCookie Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 11th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
Wow! That just answered all my questions Bill, thanks!

My husband and I are going to try our hand at a butterfly garden this summer in honor of his late grandmother. She loved butterflies. I wondered if there was anything we could do to make our little patch more appealing to our guests.
Now that I know about puddling I'm going to have to get some sand and container of some sort to keep it in! I'm thinking a birdbath filled with damp sand would work. I am also very happy to hear that herbs are very attractive to butterflies as well since I am planting my fist herb garden this season too!

Well thanks again, I find that all my questions are answered here before I even get a chance to ask them!! grinnnn That's awesome!
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Birds and Butterflies - May 4th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
Another good butterfly shrub not on Bill's list is Aesculus parviflora or Bottlebrush Buckeye. I've counted as many as 4 dozen butterflies on mine at one time.
Posted By: Danielson Re: Birds and Butterflies - May 6th, 2005 at 04:38 AM
Hi Bill!!! Love your photos....triing to find out how I can upload mine onto here soon. I have used natural wildflowers for my butterfly garden by transplanting the ones that they frequently feed around. Over here in PA we have a couple of Clearwing families.Being the avid bug collector that I am, I snapped a few clear pics of them. They realy love the blue sage that grows all over the place. Butterfly bushes work great also. angell
Posted By: traz Re: Birds and Butterflies - July 20th, 2005 at 12:27 AM
Greetings, all! I'm pleased to be attracting butterflies with my flowers. Does that necessarily mean that I'll atrract birds, too? My cats like the idea, but it seems unfair to lure the poor birdies to their doom!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - July 20th, 2005 at 05:28 AM
Depends on what you want to attract. I plant large beds of sunflowers and get American Goldfinches. Salvia is good for attracting Humminbirds, as are many flowers. There should be threads on here about the flowers that birds like. I am more of a birdwatcher than a gardner but these are the plants that I use. teech
Posted By: shan Re: Birds and Butterflies - September 1st, 2005 at 03:52 AM
How can i post a picture of a plant for identification??? Ive searched the internet and cannot find out what this is. It was very popular with butterflies and hummingbirds. The foliage looks sort of like carnation type leaves and buds..yet the flowers almost look like morning glories or periwinkle..flowers are purple. I have pictures but didnt know how to post them. I can email if needed. HELP!!!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - September 1st, 2005 at 05:43 AM
You need to see what other's have written here about posting pics, Weezie knows ........I used to be able to post my pics from Webshots but they no longer let you do that , so I keep them there and people have to go there to see them.

Is it some kind of vinca? or does the flower only open up during sunny days and close each night,"blue-eyed grass" I've got tons of that, which is beautiful, or maybe some dianthus, which is in the carnation family which the butterflies go crazy for and I also get the hummingbird moth , a really cool little creature.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Birds and Butterflies - September 2nd, 2005 at 02:40 AM
How can i post a picture of a plant for identification???
Shan...do you have a photo storage place like Webshots or PhotoBucket? You can post a picture directly here so it shows up using PhotoBucket, but have to post a link to it using webshots. I use PhotoBucket for my pictures...it's very easy to use.

If you'd like me to post it for you you can email it to me and I'll put it on here in the mystery plants forum...and someone will ID it pronto!

afgreyparrot@thegardenhelper.com

Welcome to the forum! wavey

Cindy
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 2nd, 2006 at 05:13 AM
I have a question about feeding birds. I did read this segment: The Joy of Feeding Birds. Creating a Bird Friendly Garden, but still am wondering something.

I have heard people say that once you start having bird feeders you need to keep them filled year round cause the birds will come to depend on this food source.

I've also heard that once the ground has thawed and the natural vegetation starts to grow that you should discontinue with feeders until the natural vegetation "hibernates" for the winter, cause if you feed them year round they will forget how to forage the natural vegetation.

Which is true?
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:32 AM
That is NOT true. I keep my feeders filled pretty much all the time but have almost no activity in Summer. The busiest periods for feeders is mid-Winter through late Spring. Birds come to feeders when food is hard to find. When natural food is plentiful their visits to feeders drop dramatically.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 8th, 2006 at 12:16 AM
thanks for the information Bill.
penny
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 25th, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Thanks Bill! thumbup There's some wonderful information I can use! I'm putting in some new plants this year and I would like to get some flowers that would attract more hummers and butterflies. kit
Posted By: Kelly Jo Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 30th, 2006 at 09:30 PM
When is the best time to transplant butterfly bushes. I have 2 i want to move-they are in front of windows and are too big to leave there.
Posted By: kyjoy Re: Birds and Butterflies - March 31st, 2006 at 05:22 AM
I feed birds all year long. I purchase my seed from Wildbirds Unlimited because it is blended especially for birds that habitat my area. It costs a little more than seed from the local farm store, but there is no waste.
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 1st, 2006 at 10:22 AM
Very good stuff bill. This is just what I need to learn about. I'm printing all of them now! Thank you very much!!
Posted By: Momma D Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 12th, 2006 at 08:25 PM
I need to know if there is any vine I can grow up a tree to attract hummers - I have a great area in the sun but the only thing to climb on is a tree and I've heard not to grow vines on trees, is this true? Thanks in advance
Posted By: Starla in GA Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 12th, 2006 at 09:43 PM
The hummers LOVE my Jasmin and Honey Suckle vines!

Could you get one of those inexpensive arches for the vine to grow on?

This is what I have my honey suckle and jasmine growing on. The hummers LOVE it!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 13th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
I dont know if its on the list but for bird feeders only use black sun flower seeds or a mixture of grain. Dont use Nuts unless you want squirrels to devour your bird feeder.

Also ivy is good for butterflys because cattapillas like to (what ever its called) on the under side of the follage as it provides excellent protection from predators.

Although ensure you keep it undercontrol as it will take over your garden.
Posted By: morninglori Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 18th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
Always transplant in spring or fall. Unless you are in a really cold climate, the window has passed already. You can, however, hack them back a bit, them move them in the fall.
Posted By: morninglori Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 18th, 2006 at 03:45 AM
Other hummer vines are anything they can get their little beaks into...Cardinal Climber, Morningglories, Trumpet Vine, Cross Vine, Clock vine, etc. etc. All take full sun and bloom all summer, whereas jasmine only blooms in the spring (although it smells heavenly). Although they tell you hummingbirds especially like red flowers, mine always go for the blue Indigo Spires salvia. Maybe my hummers are colorblind.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 20th, 2006 at 06:50 PM
Hummers are especially attracted to red but will eat out of every color nectar flower. Bees and wasps see red as black and are attracted to them least, or last, so the hummers know they're the safest color to go to first. Yes bees can hurt hummers.
Be sure to check that the plants and vines arent invasive or you could go nuts trying to pull things out later on.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 20th, 2006 at 11:20 PM
Trumpet Vine is very good for hummers. The VERY BEST plant I've found for Hummingbirds, especially in late Summer/early Fall, IF you live near a marshy area or small stream is Jewelweed. It forms a bush with small, yellow or orange, trumpet shape blossoms. Its seed pods look like little String Bean pods. These plants grow right in the marshy areas of bogs or on tiny islands in the middle of small streams. These islands are typically a gravel/silt composition and often are packed with Jewelweed bushes. The bushes, in turn, are packed with Hummingbirds in August and September. Here are pictures.

JEWELWEED BUSH IN FULL BLOOM (Impatiens capensis)
[Linked Image]

JEWELWEED SEED PODS
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kyjoy Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 20th, 2006 at 11:24 PM
Most butterfly bushes are meant to be cut back to about three inches in late winter or early spring. I would cut them back and leave them where they are.
Posted By: Momma D Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 21st, 2006 at 06:25 AM
Thornius, thank you especially for including pics. They are very informative. Will this jewelweed propagate profusely with those seed pods or am I pretty safe putting it in my yard? By the way I have been trying to get a picture of this guy for a week and when I just read on one of these forums that you are a woodpecker guy, I wanted to send it to you. There is a male and female in the box, don't know about babies yet. (I can't find the forum again, oh well.) Thanks again!

[Linked Image]

clp
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 21st, 2006 at 06:39 AM
Momma D, That is a male Northern Flicker, more of a Ground Pecker than a Woodpecker. They are often found on the ground where they hunt for worms and ants. You can tell that is a male because of the black "Moustache". The females lack the moustache. As for Jewelweed I'm not sure if it will grow in a yard. I've ONLY seen in VERY damp marshy areas. It grows quite well there.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 21st, 2006 at 06:00 PM
i have jewelweed growing in my yard. It grows next to my garage, in my raised garden in back. The hummers and deer love it. If it p;ops up where you dont want it it's very easy to pull out. I saved some seeds if you want some. lmk.
Posted By: Momma D Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 22nd, 2006 at 06:11 AM
Wrennie, that would be really nice if you would send me some seeds. I haven't done anything like that on here yet so please let me know how to do it. Momma D
Posted By: porter57 Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 22nd, 2006 at 06:36 AM
ive got one of those northern flickers hanging around my backyard. i went nuts when i first saw it trying to figure out what it was, finally found it on the internet.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 22nd, 2006 at 10:38 PM
MommaD
I'm pretty new here so, I'll go the way of another forum I go on.
Send me a pm (private message) with your address and I'll mail you some. clp It grows in relatively cool partly shaded spots here. It may not do well in your summer but spring and fall it should do well.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 23rd, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Here is a picture I took a couple of hours ago of Trumpet Vine (also known as Trumpet Creeper) in full bloom.

TRUMPET VINE
[Linked Image]

No Hummers were present although I did see a flock of Cedar Waxwings, a Female Eastern Bluebird on the nest, and some sparrows, either Field Sparrows or Chipping Sparrows. I think the former.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 23rd, 2006 at 09:16 AM
Very nice picture, Thorny!

Ours doesn't bloom until August!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 24th, 2006 at 12:08 AM
All the trumpet I see around here is orange.
I like the yellow.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 24th, 2006 at 06:07 AM
Here is a close-up of some Trumpet Vine I took this morning:

TRUMPET VINE
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Momma D Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 25th, 2006 at 03:09 AM
Thornius, I have one of these in a pot because I know they can be invasive. It really doesn't want to be in the pot, I can tell (haha). Do you have a lot of problems with them popping up all over? They are beautiful and definitely my choice, but I see too much negative sca about them. Thanks for your help. PS, the baby blue birds have fledged. Yeah!! Lin laugh
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 25th, 2006 at 08:19 AM
These grow wild in the woods across the road from my house. I walk there every day for exercise and photograph birds and other items of interest. Since they are not in yards they don't take anything over and they add a lot of color and interest to the woods.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 25th, 2006 at 08:21 AM
Isaw a nest box with a Momma Bluebird on the nest inside about 50 feet from the above Trumpet Vine. I will keep my eye on the nest unobtrusively over the next few months.
Posted By: bettyboop1948 Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 26th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
Here is a hummer i snapped this evening
hope u can see it.
bettyboop1948 thumbup flw
[Linked Image] might be too small not close enough
Posted By: porter57 Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 26th, 2006 at 01:29 PM
man i havent seen one yet and my feeders are untouched. but im in a somewhat urban area so i guess they wont get here until they crowd each other out of the country side. they were thick here last year but it was a bit later in the year when i noticed em. come to think of it,i saw my first one when i was sitting in my boat at a dock on bull shoals somewhere around the second week of may. when i got home a week later
and was sitting on my front porch,i had one visit my feeder right above me. i was afraid to move my head for a better look for fear of scaring it off. after that ,they came more and more,eventually turning my porch into a war zone!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - April 26th, 2006 at 04:04 PM
Porter here is a painting done by an Anthropomorphic artist named Dark Natasha. Anthropomorphic artists depict animals with human characteristics (Bugs Bunny for example). Dark Natasha did this painting to portray the warlike nature of Hummingbirds which are among some of the most aggressive birds in the world.

AGGRESSIVE HUMMERS
[Linked Image]
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Birds and Butterflies - May 1st, 2006 at 05:32 PM
I saw my first indigo bunting today! thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - May 2nd, 2006 at 09:11 AM
I haven't seen or heard any yet this year but should any day now. The last few days my yard has been invaded by swarms of Cedar Waxwings.
Posted By: slredmond Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 3rd, 2006 at 10:51 AM
Our new house has a lovely trumpet vine growing up a big, sturdy trellis. It also has about 7,955 volunteers all over the yard!!! Well, probably not quite that many, but I have enough for half the township. I'll be digging them up and giving them away to friends and family, so they can have some fun, too!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 13th, 2006 at 11:51 PM
Yesterday I saw one of the yellow butterflies that looks a lot like a monarch it was so pretty and it hung around so that the elders could see it too. I love all the butterflies and birds that are comming to visit. Someday maybe a humming bird will come too.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 15th, 2006 at 10:30 AM
Tk, Put out a hummer feeder and look for the hummers to start coming in about two weeks to one month. You will mostly get females and young at that time as many of the males have already migrated. Hummingbirds come most often from July to October after the initial arrival in April and May. The rest of the time they are raising their young.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 17th, 2006 at 02:26 AM
Hi Thorny,

My last roommate broke my hummingbird feeder and I don't have the cash to replace it. But I do have a cardinal vine growing so maybe that will get something going. I do have bees galore this year because of the hollyhocks. I had no idea there were that many bees in the neighborhood. And today I got a very special suprise. I had one of the brown doves in the garden. She didn't stay more than a minute but I was so glad to see here. I love doves. I also have those black shiny birds "gackles" (?). Unfortunately none of these birds sit still for pictures. Althought one of the two squirrels that are around now are pretty tame.

I'm loving all the wildlife.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 17th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
The black shiny birds are probably Common Grackles. I have about 20 in my yard. They empty my feeders daily.

COMMON GRACKLE
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 17th, 2006 at 10:27 PM
Wow Thorny,

Your pictures are amazing. My birds don't have the white ring around their eyes. Are they still grackles?
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
tkhooper
The ring is really it's eye color and yellow. I assume sunlight or flash makes it look white in Thornys picture. Lemme' look now.... *flip page**...... **flip page**...here we go... The boat tailed Grackles range is on the Virginia shore. I don't know where you are. But depending on ight and the angle you're looking from the Commons eye may not show that 'ring'.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Thornius:
Tk, Put out a hummer feeder and look for the hummers to start coming in about two weeks to one month.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh LOL! Tee hee!!
The first time BF was with me when I was hanging a hummingbird feeder, he asiked how long till they come. I told him "a few days maybe." With the feeder still in my hand on the way to its hook a hummer flew around me for a look. Made me look dumb that little bird did! LOL! "Or today" I said. teech
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
The white IS the eye. It is actually yellow. The light conditions at the time I took the picture made the eye look white. Here is a really CREEPY picture I took the same day of a Grackle that REALLY shows the whites of its eyes, TK (don't shoot 'til you see it!)

SPOOKY GRACKLE
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 04:47 AM
That is weird looking, your right. I sure am enjoying all the birds and butterflies in my garden this year. I'm not to sure about the bees though. Never new hollyhocks were so prone to them.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - June 18th, 2006 at 04:07 PM
I like the bees too. When it gets so hot that the birds go dormant, we birders switch over to butterfly and insect photography until the birds become active again.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 1st, 2006 at 01:49 PM
For the 1st time in 38 years of living here, we have a humming bird coming to our house. clp I've had sightings before but that was it. But this little girl keeps coming back day after day and it's so much fun watching her. My neighbor has a feeder, but she doesn't go to it. She likes the honey suckle and the blue flowers on my coleus. I'm just so excited! Does anyone know, it she would be nesting at this time of year? Sure would be neat if there would be more coming along later!!!! cool cool Sue
Posted By: Thornius Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 1st, 2006 at 02:47 PM
The Ruby-Throateds are done nesting for the year. They start to nest in Mid to Late May and start coming back to the feeders by the first of July. From the first of July until they migrate are the best times to see them. As far as I know they lay only one batch of eggs a year. I've personally seen only ONE hummingbird nest in 18 years of birding.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 5th, 2006 at 08:16 AM
Caught this beauty sleeping this morning...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:04 PM
That's beautiful , Rosie! thumbup thumbup

Here's a different one I found today. As Thorny would say, "It's a lifer for me!"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:20 PM
OMG - that picture is AMAZING Rosie!!!

mel - yours looks so velvety soft!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:22 PM
My best guess is an anglewing, question mark butterfly.???????/ Anyone else know?? Duh Duh
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:25 PM
Mel, that is a beauty...looks like velour. wink Do you know what kind it is?
Posted By: Triss Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:30 PM
Great shot Mel!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 7th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
Yup, for sure it's the question mark butterfly! thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 9th, 2006 at 02:10 AM
Lovely Queen visitor...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gailo Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 26th, 2006 at 05:15 AM
WOW that's great! I'vw never seen one of those. Are they huge?
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 26th, 2006 at 06:53 AM
Gailo, the Queen is about the same size as the Monarch. I was so shocked to see her, especially on that particular plant. I have very few red blooming plants and that one red salvia had crept into that bed, thanks to the birds I guess, and that was the plant the Queen chose. wink
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 31st, 2006 at 05:30 AM
How pretty!! thumbup thumbup
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 31st, 2006 at 06:36 AM
Rosie - gorgeous! Love the framework around the picture!
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Birds and Butterflies - August 31st, 2006 at 07:36 AM
TYVM wink I framed that with a little, free imaging program, Irfanview.

I use it for a lot of editing, etc. on my digital pictures and graphics.
Posted By: gailo Re: Birds and Butterflies - September 5th, 2006 at 01:05 AM
This year I planted northern sea oats and have been fighting the heat and drought to keep it alive. This morning I was rewarded by having a little shorebird rest on the bulkhead next to the sea oats. I hope they establish themselves so I won't have to do so much for them. After all they usually live on beaches right?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gailo Re: Birds and Butterflies - September 6th, 2006 at 07:35 PM
I found out the bird is a spotted sandpiper. I think Tropical Depression Ernesto brought it here. I have seen it for 3 days now. It walks up and down that board on the bulkhead and eats bugs.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - February 15th, 2007 at 01:49 PM
My daughter caught this shot of an eagle the other day!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Birds and Butterflies - February 16th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
That's AWESOME, mel!!! thumbup

I miss seeing them around - we saw them often when we lived in Alaska -
they are so majestic, aren't they???

There have been articles in our local paper that they have returned to the other side of our county - along the Hudson River towns. I'd love to be able to see one up close again. They had some wonderful shots in the paper - guess the time has to be just right here.

Do you see them often there?
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Birds and Butterflies - February 16th, 2007 at 02:55 PM
There are so many more here now!!!! I just love to watch them soar and perch! They are an amazing creature, for sure! thumbup clp clp
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]