A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Shade dweller Droopy Hens-and-Chick leaves.... - January 5th, 2007 at 02:31 AM
I got a small Hen and chick about 3 months ago and shortly thereafter, the leaves began to droop. They are currently all cupping down and my plant looks depressed. I work in an office but on the weekends I leave the plant at a window to get some natural sunlight? Could it be the soil? What's wrong with it?

Thanks!

K
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Droopy Hens-and-Chick leaves.... - January 5th, 2007 at 02:43 AM
Can I ask a question??????
Is it actally a "Hen and chick"??
If it is that kind, those need to be outside..
*they can with stand cold temps, like into
growing zone 4 at least...*

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your plant in question,
to make a postive id on it, would you???

And Welcome Aboard by the way, we're glad you found us!!!
Posted By: Shade dweller Re: Droopy Hens-and-Chick leaves.... - January 5th, 2007 at 02:51 AM
Thanks- glad to be here!!!

I don't have a pic, but I'm sure it's a Hen and Chick. Actually, I took a closer look and I think i over watered it.. the bottom leaves are just totally falling off...

It is simply a matter of repotting now?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Droopy Hens-and-Chick leaves.... - January 5th, 2007 at 03:37 AM
Does it look like any of these plants????
Hens and Chick"s/Sempervivum tectorum

If so, they are definately outdoor plants..

They like hot and dry conditions, and the less nutrients the better.. *I should say, not toooo fertile soil... having the rich potting soils can make them lanky*

If you do repot it up...
and it is one of the types' pictured above..
and some of the lower leaves are droopy/mushy...
you can pull those off, and expose a bit of the stem.. and from the stem and base of the new leaves just exposed, is where new roots will appear.. just stick it back into the soil and it'll re~root for you...

I hope you keep us posted on how your plant is doing, we love updates... thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Droopy Hens-and-Chick leaves.... - January 5th, 2007 at 08:35 AM
shade dweller,

I am zone 5 and my hens and chickens never come inside.......They are out there by the chimney on the west side of the house , multiplying like made.....Some red some green......

They are not an inside job...;o)

dodge shk shk
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]