A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: FRITO fan palm - March 8th, 2006 at 08:02 AM
label said chinese fan palm but it doesnt have a stalk and isnt a "tree" more like a bush.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: fan palm - March 8th, 2006 at 11:13 PM
looks like a fan palm from what i see.

could you photo a lone frond?
Posted By: papito Re: fan palm - March 8th, 2006 at 11:56 PM
Does it look like this?

Chinese Fan Palm

more photos
Posted By: FRITO Re: fan palm - March 9th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
[Linked Image]

there it is last summer. I guess it is a fan palm??...just really young and hasnt formed a stalk yet? all the braches come from the root ball it seems....
Posted By: Handbright Re: fan palm - March 10th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
there are different kinds of fan palms, here is a link to a wonderful photo of a "chinese" fan palm
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23182/

(I dont know how to do hyperlinks-this is a mac and nothing seems to work with regular p.c.'s)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fan palm - March 10th, 2006 at 08:25 PM
Do you think it could be a Saw-Palmetto

They grow all over the place in Florida.

hasnt formed a stalk yet? all the braches come from the root ball it seems....
That's the way Saw-Palmettos grow. You will rarely,if ever, find one with a stalk.

Hope this helps thumbup

G-Mom
Posted By: FRITO Re: fan palm - March 11th, 2006 at 04:22 AM
g-mom. i know the saw palmetto as I have grown up with them all my life in south florida. Its not a saw palmetto. its more refined. and not as "scrubby" the palm leaf looks IDENTICAL to the chinese fan palm. but it doesnt seem to form a stalk... ive had it about a year and a half now. and bought it when it was in a 3 gallon pot I believe.

here is a picture of the base:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fan palm - March 12th, 2006 at 08:45 AM
it may well be a fan palm. there are several varieties of "palm" plants that have that growth habit rather than the single stalk palm most of us are used to.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]