This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99738 February 14th, 2007 at 07:04 AM
W
OP Offline
W
HI, CAN ANYONE TELLS US IF NIPPING THE ENDS OF THE PUMPKINS WILL DO ANY HARM. WE THREW HEAPS OF seeds DOWN AND NOW WE ARE GETTING OVER RUN WITH THEM, SO IN MY WISDOM I HAVE NIPPED THE ENDS TO STOP THEM GOING ANY FURTHER, WILL THEY STILL PRODUCE WHATS ON THE THEM ALREADY OR DIE????

#99739 February 14th, 2007 at 09:52 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I have no idea... Duh

I'm moving this topic up into the vegetable forum so someone will see it who might be able to answer your question..

Cindy

#99740 February 15th, 2007 at 02:50 AM
NIPPING THE ENDS OF THE PUMPKINS
I'll assume that you're talking about nipping the pumpkin vines. Duh They shouldn't die... the energy they would have used for the vines that are cut back will simply be used elsewhere within the plant. (Don't be surprised if the vines produce new runners & have to be nipped again.) They will produce fruit as long as there are junctions left somewhere on the vines for the blossom to form.

We're happy to have you here on the forum with us, & are looking forward to seeing pics of your new home! Would also like to hear about **and see** what you plan to do with your garden spaces. grinnnn
[Linked Image]Gardener's Chat would be a good place for that!

I snooped around & read your other 2 posts, & was happy to read that you're into companion planting & putting Basil with your Tomatoes. clp I couldn't live without Basil! [Linked Image] I use it all over in my veggie garden, as well as for borders & behind lower growing annual flowers, & I plant LOTS of it along my property line, to help keep the deer away from my gardens. (That works pretty well when there's enough of it, cuz deer hate the smell!)

Lucky you, to have things growing now! Here, we're trying to get old man winter out of our yards so we can start playing in the dirt! Most of us can't even start planting things for another month or two! [Linked Image]

Good luck with all those pumpkins... be sure to show us some photos when they start producing for you! (What are you going to do with all those pumpkins?!!) shk

By the way, I see that your CAP LOCK key must have been stuck when you posted your question here! I hope you get it UNstuck, cuz it makes posts a bit difficult to read! [Linked Image]

#99741 February 16th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
W
OP Offline
W
thx patty, as you will see, caplock is off, sorry to have blinded everyone:)
well i am relieved i havent ruined the pumpkins, my hubby said let them go, but with the amount of seed i threw down they would have taken over the whole back area of the house. well our summer has been very dissappointing, we have had late frosts and alot of wet humid weather, i just pulled out all our tomatoes last week as the blite got them because of rainy humid weather, very sad:((((
ok will take pics for you all and try and see how to load them on here.
regards
sonya.

#99742 February 16th, 2007 at 05:43 AM
my hubby said let them go, but with the amount of seed i threw down they would have taken over the whole back area of the house.
Sonya, does he have any idea how much space those things will take up? grinnnn

Can't wait to see your pics! There are instructions for how to post photos (using PhotoBucket.com) in the Member Benefits forum .

#99743 February 16th, 2007 at 09:31 AM
It's actually a good thing to tip prune pumpkin runners. It not only keeps the vines under control but it also encourages more female flowers and therefore more fruit.

#99744 February 19th, 2007 at 05:13 AM
W
OP Offline
W
thx longy appreciate it.

#99745 February 20th, 2007 at 12:32 AM
W
OP Offline
W
hey patty ive loaded a pic of my pumpkin patch on photobucket, now what?

#99746 February 20th, 2007 at 12:39 AM
W
OP Offline
W
and where does one go to talk about these things or is it just posting comments in here.

Link Copied to Clipboard