This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
I need someones Opinion......Gurney is sending my Blue rose Bush right now.
I am zone 5 .........Do I plant that as soon as the snow melts?/
It was beautiful last week ,now snow ice an cold again..
Do i put that in water on arrival?

thanks for looking.

sca

I've never had experience with roses before (i might buy a hybrid tea from costco for only $8 a steal! anyways...) I remember reading the package and it says soak roots in warm water for 12 or 14 hours (don't remember) and don't expose roots to wind or sun. that's all I remember, and I'd say if you can get a big enough container, you could try planting it inside to give it a head start.

BTW...I've never heard of a blue rose..or rose tree, could you post some pics when it blooms? thx so much!

M
MLN Offline
M
I always plant my roses as soon as I get them (as long as they are still dormant). They do well adjusting to the climate and if they are calling for frost (or in your area, snow or ice shk ) I just cover it with a bucket or something to protect it. Be sure to take the bucket off first thing in the morning (unless it is going to snow all day). The rose will stay dormant until the weather is right for it to break dormancy. I haven't had one die yet. Hope to post some pictures when they bloom (they are well leafed out right now).

dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks Ken and MLN.

I never had one come this early.. March. But you 2 are quite optimistic.........Ha ha

Some one in Ohio has one an keeps telling me of it .....Only plant she owns.. And my sister said hers in Ohio turned colors after it was close to her red and orange ones??????????//

I have an orange one ....One red stripy and 7 sisters........But dont want to get involved with the jaggers..

Thanks

b

My father (MANY years ago) was big on his roses. Never really appealed to me but of course in England they are very popular. I think they are usually quite hardy (although we are zone 8 here) and are usually planted in March or April or at the other end of the year, in fall.

The only blue rose I know of is Blue Moon (which is actually not quite blue, more a mauvey blue being a hybrid) which I seem to remember from 30 years or so ago is quite difficult. If it's that one I would suggest planting it but protect it, as MLN says, with a bucket or some hay or straw. Never heard of one changing color though Dodge (except Harlequin which is supposed to). Wonder what did that? (Except that it is a weird rose apparently).

dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
This rose is called Blue GIrl.......gurneys catalog.

April I can go along with..But I guess I will wait an see.

thanks for all the info .everyone.

b

Just thought you might like this info that I just found on a website. It is about Blue Girl.

While the introduction of a true blue rose is at least a few years away, these roses are the closest you can come for now. Growers of roses are baiting our interest by name roses with "blue" names. How you grow your plant will affect color tone. The more sunlight the more bleached out the color. Look for a combination of either morning sun and afternoon shade or the other way around.

dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise .thanks,

Your cool.. Then I will plant is something like that .......She had hers out in the full sun and it was sorrounded with 14 more.
I am going to ask the lady if hers are in the sun.
Thanks alot.

barb

Link Copied to Clipboard