This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99429 February 3rd, 2007 at 07:57 AM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
i have ginkgo and mimosaceae seeds, i have not started the mimosaceae's yet but the ginkgo have decided to start on their own! i just found em tonight sprouting out of their seeds! so i potted em up,

i have never grew a tree from a seed before so any help would be great, like do i keep them in a pot for so many years? do i bring them indoors for winter or keep them in a cold green house?
cause we do get lots of frost and below 0 temps in winter, wink

#99430 February 3rd, 2007 at 01:58 PM
Ginko, I believe is hardy to zone 5, also know as the maiden hair tree (or maiden tree). The seeds have to be fresh to have a chance of germination, once they dry out they're dead. I'm sure the mimosa can withstand you zone 6 winters...just be sure to chip the seeds before you soak them so they take in water faster. Or you may want to soak them in really hot (not boiling) water overnight they should've swelled, any that are floating means that they have a dead embryo inside, you could try planting them but I've had no luck with them germinating (I used the method for sensitive plant aka mimosa pudica) I would advise you to maybe keep the tree in a pot for the first year, and then transplant into the garden, being sure to add mulch and protect it during its first winter. If the m. pudica is the same as the mimosa you are trying to start, then be sure to use a deep pot because it has a very deep taproot. Ok, enough of me blabbing, if you need anything, or if I wasn't clear, just let me know!

#99431 February 3rd, 2007 at 07:12 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
laugh thumbup blab all ya want kenny, thats how i learn wink thanks for your help, i'll keep em poted for at least a year then.

#99432 February 5th, 2007 at 07:13 AM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/
look! bill has a thing on ginkgo's!!!!! i didnt see it before, lots of info thumbup

#99433 February 5th, 2007 at 09:14 AM
Sounds like fun.

I haven't seen any germinate here yet, but there are not all that many of the trees in this area yet.

And I suppose it can't just be a male tree either, which many of the ones out this way are.

How tall are your seedlings now?

#99434 February 5th, 2007 at 07:21 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
there not tall at all laugh just little root popin out of the seed, grinnnn

we have them up at the cemitary, thats were i got my seeds from, i kept them in a bagie since late summer, shocked a couple still had that mushy thing on em, so i think it helped with holding in moisture and thats why they sprouted.
maybe i could collect some seeds next summer and send ya some, maybe you'll get a female out of em?

#99435 March 4th, 2007 at 09:34 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
my seedlings are about the size od a 2liter pop bottle laugh i know that cause thats what i started em in. a couple are already at the top of the bottles! boy they grew fast!

Link Copied to Clipboard