This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99310 December 24th, 2006 at 11:46 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi:
Just joined the group today. Will be moving to Knoxville soon...and need to put up a blocker
hedge soon...I have only found trees for sale up to 6'...
Does anyone know where I can buy mature trees...say up to 12-15'...unfortunately I will need a lot!

Thanks and Merry Christmas

#99311 December 27th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
Welcome to the forums and happy holidays! I've never seen mature trees that big for sale before here in Canada, Maybe you might want to buy some fast growing trees? I know things and gold and emerald grows really fast and you can shape it into a hedge really easily. Or many some evergreens would work as well, there are a few types that grow really fast.

#99312 December 27th, 2006 at 11:33 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks!

I said a hedge but meant a row of trees for a privacy screen. A developer cut down all his trees for a better view and sub divided the lots...now I will have people looking down the slope into my house...this means I have to go high and thick at the top.

Would the Thuja Steeplechase be better than the Thaja Green Giant? It is advertised as a "fuller, tighter, more feathery Thuja".

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

steeple chase thuja

#99313 December 27th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
J
OP Offline
J
kennyso:

I think I found my answer...the Thuja Steeplechase only grows 2' per year instead
of the normal 5'...
it looks like the Thaja Green Giant for my purpose.

thanks!

#99314 December 27th, 2006 at 09:29 PM
J
J
Don't expect TGG to grow at those yearly rates. The commonly advertised rates of 3-4 feet per year would only be under absolutely perfect growing conditions. I have noticed only 6-8" of annual growth with mine under less than ideal growing conditions planted a few years ago.

#99315 January 6th, 2007 at 06:21 AM
I
I
I really want to buy some of these
'Thuja Green Giants ', and have been looking up here
for some time.Anyone know of a Canadian distributer?
Toronto area ?
I am certain they will grow here no problem at a zone 5 (at least). With the warming trends maybe warmer....
It is a little tricky to order from the US as I have
discovered. A local guy or one within country is best.

Anyone ? e-mail ********************

----------------------------------------------
Your email address was removed for your protection.
Please use our Private Messaging system to exchange personal information.

Link Copied to Clipboard