This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98976 September 7th, 2004 at 06:22 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

Just walked outside and noticed that a vine that pretty much seemed to grow out of nowhere in the last couple of weeks has bloomed. wink I had left it because I was sure it was not a weed but did not know what it might turn out to be. Today it has beautiful blue flowers on it and I am pretty sure it is a Morning Glory but want to confirm this.

Also if indeed it is a MG, then I need to learn how to care for it so it can grow and flourish. It is located on the West side of my house and gets a lot of morning shade and afternoon and evening sun. It is also in what has previously been the "mow" zone so has never had a chance to gorw before this year.

I did look up MG, and it looks the same to me but want to be sure. I placed the photos at my website.
Morning Glory

Thanks
Triss

#98977 September 7th, 2004 at 06:49 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Yep, it's a Morning Glory.
Make sure you save the seeds! There will be about a billion on it, give or take a few!

I don't know the proper way to take care of them. I water mine every now and then when it hasn't rained in awhile.

Cindy

#98978 September 7th, 2004 at 07:03 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Cindy,

Thanks for the confirmation. Of course it brings up another question, I wonder how I got lucky to have it grow this year when it hasnt the last two? I am really surprised that the seeds of a previous plant lasted so long as to grow this year. Something to ponder teech

Triss

#98979 September 8th, 2004 at 02:24 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Triss,
Yep, those are Morning Glories!!! thumbup flw
Such pretty colors too!!!

And save those seeds...
Very easy to save...
Check out where the previous flowers were,
there'll be a round ball like area at the end of the stem/where flower was.... when it get's closer to being ready to pick and save, the outter shell of the ball will thin or become translusant and you'll be able to see the darked/ brown/black seeds, all dried and ready to save.
Just save in a mailing envelope or do a FORUM SEARCH and type in seed TEMPLATES, there's a ton there and they're great projects to do in the winter months, when you're indoors, find them all, save them, and print them and cut them and put them together.........I love them...
Let me know how you made out with them all!!!

Weezie

P/S seeds have an amazing way of preserving their species.... Some have the ability to stay viable for many, many years!!!!
Probably what happened is the seed was there from previous and when you got into the bed to cultivate for your flowers, you pulled up a dormant seed... and it germinated and now you have your new plant!!
I had the same thing happen here over the years believe it or not..... I planted several one year, and have not planted a plant again since, but I still get plants every year!!!

Keep us posted on your MG's!!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard