This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

I currently have the butyl liner,but as you can see its going to take a number of people to help me fit it in place.I dug and built this pond myself,by hand,i was a complete novice starting out,i guess you could say,i made it big.
A waterfall will run down into it,through a series of mini pools,and a stone cave will start the waterfall.
Im planning it to be totally natural,with a wide range of plants,and natural stone and pebbles.
A deck will look out onto the water,and at the top i plan on building a small teahouse to complement the setting,beside the waterfall.
Its an awful big job,considering im on my own with it,but ill just take it one step at a time.

OP Offline
[Linked Image]

here is the skeletel outline of the waterfall going into the main pond,the liner and stonework will be next here.A stone cave at the top will start the fall,to add interest to the design.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
OHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYY GAWDDDDDDDDDDDD.....
When you're done, you're more than welcome to
come to my thumbup ..
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
That's AWESOME job...

When did you start all of that????

Wow! That's a huge undertaking... I can't wait to see it when you're finished!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Beautiful, simply beautiful.....I can just picture it finished--you know you've done a wonderful job doing it all by yourself....PLEASE make sure you post more pictures as you get more done, I'd love to see it finished. thumbup

WOW! You did that all on your own and all by hand. WOW!!! That is going to be a stunning waterfall. Absolutely stunning!!!! Please keep posting pics of your progress.

That is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Dianna

OP Offline
Thanks very much for all your nice comments,really appreciate it.Well i started digging it in the summer of 2004,my garden you see is enclosed and getting a mechanical digger in was simply out of the question,access for one of these into the garden was not possible,so by spade and shovel i took it on,and what a nightmare it was.
About 3 feet down i came accross these roots,and i said to myself,"oh no",they were coming from the laurel hedge,so i had to take all these roots out,which were enormous,and they grew in all patterns around the area,eventually i managed to rid them all,so i built a wall from 3 ft down up to the datum point,where the waterlevel would be and worked from there.It was really nasty stuff,i contemplated giving up,but i stuck at it,basically ive thought myself everything.
Im doing it for my parents,who dont keep well,and im determined to succeed.My motto in a project like this is just to take it one step at a time,and not to rush,and when things go wrong not to panic,theres help out there,as i badly need right now with this liner,its a tonne weight,and worse still it has to be brought from the bottom yard right up a steep hill into the garden,hopefully the help im getting tomorrow will be enough to get it up eek eek eek

L
L
David! Your pond is going to be absolutely beautiful! What a great accomplishment you have made so far and will make in the future! Make sure you keep a jounal as you plan and build all of your pond! You never know, you might want to write a book about it. Thank you for sharing it with us! wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm impressed by your perserverance...altho, i dunno why...i'm irish too, and when we get something in our minds there's NO stopping us grinnnn

it's going to be GORGEOUS when you've got it all done... idea might just have to fly over and see it in person!! lala

OP Offline
I wont be happy until this liner is brought up to the garden,its soo heavy,anyone one to fly to ireland and give me a hand with this monster idea idea laugh laugh laugh

OMG!!! i have to see this when your done. pleeezzze keep us posted! clp

What a wonderful job you have done David!! thumbup
I dug my super small pond by hand and I know it is a big ole pain in the keister! The rocks the roots the back ache...
I for one can't wait to see the finished product! Please keep us posted on your progress!
Great Job!! muggs clp

OP Offline
well just about an hour ago,myself and a local guy managed to somehow,get the roll of butyl liner up the steep hill into the garden,well lets just say it was scary,it weighed a tonne,so we positined it upright on a rock cart and tied it in with rope,and dragged it up the hill,half way up we both slipped and were lucky we werent killed,but with the luck of the gods we somehow achieved the impossible and got the roll up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great Job!! Glad to see you were not hurt!!

Now the big task of laying it down!! What a BIG POND!! Good luck !! thumbup

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, i'm glad you got someone to help...with the broken leg i would have been more of a hinderance than a help. smile

VERY glad that neither you or your buddy were hurt when you slipped, too!!!

can not wait to see it when it's finished!!!

That was some steep hill. Glad you and the liner made it up there intact! Now the big job... getting it all laid out.

OP Offline
well i have to put the polyfelt underlay in next,and then i have to wait till next week sometime,for this friend of mine to help me with the liner,since i have no experience in laying a liner ill need his assistance as hes worked with pond liners before,so mean time,underlay.

OP Offline
[Linked Image]

The underlay in place,to give added protection to the liner.

OP Offline
[Linked Image]

The butyl liner in place,myself and my brother put it in,its very hard to avoid creases but we did the best we could next i will add some underlay over the base for extra protection and add the pea shingle over the base,and dress the shelves with rock and gravel.

Looks Great David!! What a LOT of work!! thumbup muggs clp
Looks like you could use a Guiness! wink laugh laugh

OP Offline
cheers for that,well my problem at the moment is we are having rain here and its filling up the base,so ill have to pump the water out and get going with laying the gravel in the base.

Rain is a tough one while trying to get everything straightened!
You Must have a HUGE pump for all that space!
Good Luck with the water!! Can't wait to see more Pictures! thumbup

Looks great David! Hope the rain lets up a bit for you so you can get to the next step.

Looking great...keep us posted !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard