This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98619 January 17th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this question. After years of having the same boring african violets, they finally just died off. I know I should really buy a new one, but my MIL gave me some leaves off hers. If I wanted to root these, do I put them in water or directly in the soil...your advice is appreciated.. flw clp

#98620 January 17th, 2007 at 05:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here you go Daisy, this thread should help! thumbup

AV\'s

BTW, I grew some of mine just by sticking some leaves in dirt. thumbup

#98621 January 17th, 2007 at 05:34 AM
I think either one would work out... Maybe put them in water for a little bit, then put them in the soil...

I would use some type of rooting agent/hormone though, like Rootone or something...

Good luck! thumbup

--Mark--

#98622 January 17th, 2007 at 05:35 AM
Laura beat me to it! laugh laugh laugh

#98623 January 17th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm quick draw loz today! laugh laugh

#98624 January 17th, 2007 at 06:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Speaking of African violets. I recently decapitated one of mine with a new heavy miniblind. The blind severed every leaf. It was sad.

Anyway, I carefully put them in a bowl that I covered with plastic wrap and then poked 15 individual wholes... one for each leaf. I am sure Mom would have done it that way

Well, as you can see they are all thriving. I sure don't want 15 new violet plants!! Any suggestions?
I offered them to the horticulture teacher at the high school, but she has not responded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now what??? I don't want 15 violets... but, I can't kill them..arghhhh... eek that would be violet murder

#98625 January 17th, 2007 at 06:39 AM
That is a great way to root them. A lot of new plants though.

#98626 January 17th, 2007 at 07:38 AM
That is an awesome way to root!! maybe you could give as gifts?

#98627 January 17th, 2007 at 07:40 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Jane what did you put them in, water??? or is that rooting stuff?

#98628 January 17th, 2007 at 07:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are not tracking me. I need 15 fledgling violets like I need a whole in my head.

Oh my... I am going to be a violet murderer eek

Mom passed 6 years ago and it is one of hers. I got rid of many along the way. 15 more sounds like a life sentence!

#98629 January 17th, 2007 at 07:59 AM
Q
Q
Wow Jane-until now I thought that these would have to be put in soil only.I can clearly see how easy they would root in water as well.Thanx for the info.Maybe you could give these out to 15 friends????Good luck.

#98630 January 17th, 2007 at 09:41 AM
Yep, I'd say gift them as well. Do you have kids in school? If so then they would make awesome teacher plants! Or since you are a teacher yourself, then gifts for the secretaries and principals of the schools you work at.

#98631 January 17th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't have 15 friends!!!

#98632 January 17th, 2007 at 11:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jane, you could give (mail) them to folks here. we have lots who take in strays (like me). i love av's but manage to kill about one a year (i have several and replace/buy them at whim). i know that njoynit and barleychown are av fans too! most of us would send you postage if you wanted too.

or, you could post them down in the seed & cutting exchange and trade them for something you want. if i had something you wanted, i'd trade for one.

#98633 January 17th, 2007 at 11:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by GonetotheBirds:
I don't have 15 friends!!!
oh, and jane? you do now kissies you have 11000! welcome to the garden helper kissies

#98634 January 17th, 2007 at 11:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks jiffy,
Hey, I can mail violet leaves? Huh, I would love to hear about that. Is there a thread hanging out there to explain that one? They are such picky leaves.

I would be happy to share them. I don't think I want anything to grow in return.

#98635 January 17th, 2007 at 11:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the most successful way i have received them is to put them in moist soil with plastic wrap over it (medicine cups work great) packed in packing peanuts.

i also received some with moist papertowels on the bottom, but they didn't make it when they got here. they were fine when they got here, i just didn't root them right shocked

#98636 January 17th, 2007 at 09:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Daisy,

The leaves are in plain water. I have added water to it once or twice. they have been rooting since late November.

My mom always had a violet leaf or two in the kitchen window. They were always the same -- She'd put water in a juice glass cover it with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubberband. Then she'd carefully poke a whole in the plastic big enough to put the leaf through. She might have two in a glass. But the leaves never touched each other much.

Jiffy, mailing them would be over my head. They are such tender leaves. I might just as well pot them. Duh

The problem with giving them as gifts - well, we're back to the 15 friends, but otherwise the real issue is still -- potting and taking care of 15 babies. Man, is that ever more responsibility than I want.

I must email that teacher again. There has to be a classroom near here just dying to plant violets.

Better yet, tell Loz that Kirkland's at Hagerstown outlets is giving away rooted violet leaves wink wink I really miss using the bowl they are in. But, martha should market this bowl for this purpose -- the oval opening is perfect.

#98637 January 17th, 2007 at 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone cross their fingers and say a little prayer. I don't think the horticulture teacher got the email about the leaves. I just sent it again. I hope, I hope her horticulture class will tend to growing these. I am more than happy to buy violet soil and 15 pots. Oh, I hope flw I hope. flw

#98638 February 1st, 2007 at 09:15 PM
Originally posted by GonetotheBirds:
Speaking of African violets. I recently decapitated one of mine with a new heavy miniblind. The blind severed every leaf. It was sad.

Anyway, I carefully put them in a bowl that I covered with plastic wrap and then poked 15 individual wholes... one for each leaf. I am sure Mom would have done it that way

Well, as you can see they are all thriving. I sure don't want 15 new violet plants!! Any suggestions?
I offered them to the horticulture teacher at the high school, but she has not responded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now what??? I don't want 15 violets... but, I can't kill them..arghhhh... eek that would be violet murder
Hey there! I have 4 AV's and would love to pay you for one or two if you are going to get ride of them. Please let me know.

#98639 February 3rd, 2007 at 04:01 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I put mine into water about 2 weeks ago and I still don't see any roots? Aprox how long does it take to root?

Link Copied to Clipboard