This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9848 December 2nd, 2003 at 06:51 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hi! I've only made a couple posts so far in the New Member and Houseplant sections. I have so many questions! But I'm trying to keep it to a minimum... I have a couple questions about Brugmansia. I have 2 varieties right now, b. insignis, and b. Charles Grimaldi. I keep them potted so I can drag them inside for winter. The temp here only gets below 32oF maybe 5 to 10 days in winter, and we've had one "freak" snow day in the past 15 yrs. But the frost seems to be getting worse over the last 4 or 5 winters/early spring. The Brugs look so ugly from frost-damage, before they come back in spring and bringing them in avoids this. My question is, when I bring them in, should I cut them back and trick them into dormancy with less water and less light so they have a chance to rest? Or, put them in my sunniest window and keep them blooming until it's time to drag them outside again. I really work the heck out of them in bloom season. I love the reaction their blooms get. In my city, Brugs are not a common sight, so most are really surprised at the flower size. Mine are getting to a okay height (about 6 feet) and I'm mainly interested in long-term health of the plant, and the most mileage for my buck. wink Thanks!!!!! Timilisa

#9849 December 2nd, 2003 at 07:59 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey GardenZealot!
Don't worry about keeping the questions down
to a minamul!!!!
We'll answer away! That's why we're here!

I don't get to grow those beautiful plants,
wish I did!!!!!
I know for sure Nikkal grows them,
Papito or Bill may be able too!!
I think it's FlowerCrazy that has a ba~zillion of
them, maybe she'll take a peak around and
stop by!!!
I'm sure someone will be around and through to
help you out with them!
Weezie

#9850 December 2nd, 2003 at 08:24 PM
I grow theses but grow mine in ground am a Tx z 8b.i cut mine back at forcast of frost and have buckets& mason jars of cuttings right now.I keep my below "Y" and above"Y" cuttings seprate.I was moveing last year and knew was planning to so grew them full time last year but in a kinda dormant state.I had in computer room off kitchen room not heated but keept door open so stayed about 55-65 average temp room got sun from south and the east.so had good lighting.i just watered them about once a week and no fertilizer.i fertilize mine every other day to every 3 days durring bloom season to keep them happy flw flw I will be experimenting with one jar of cuttings in dark room with just changeing the water and bring out in spring and pot up.the rest will get potted up& will be intresting finding a spot to grow them in house we are building as we live in.i may have to borrow neighbors house& a spot in his kitchen.

"?"~ are you re potting them when you drag them indoors
"?"~ are you sinking your pots in ground?they will grow larger plants.if go in burg forum on GW and look in gallery for Claires pics she does hers inground and in pots but she has photos of them and will see size difference.she has a charles G in front yard it blooms heavy also
"?" what fertilizer are you useing and do you use something high in nitrogen for starting the season off with
sorry for "?" when your asking yourself but gotta pick them brains of other burg growers.i might learn something and is my favorite plant I grow
if pop in here look for my albulm burgs
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
will have more next year& will be spreading my cuttings to other areas of the yard.pond sure looks bare with burgs cut back

#9851 December 2nd, 2003 at 09:25 PM
Well GardenZ, if you consider having LOTS of cuttings rooting in preparation for next spring "growing them", then yes, I do! laugh They are my newest obsession!! I can't give you overwintering advice from my own experience, but I've done ALOT of research!!! thumbup

Njoynit also had another topic here, I think it's titled "my brugs - take a peek", look for it and you may get some more info.

Nikkal

#9852 December 2nd, 2003 at 09:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's Njoynit's post for you.........

Njoynit\'s Page

Weezie

#9853 December 2nd, 2003 at 09:54 PM
Thanks, Weezie! sca ) My airstone was kind of big for my container, so I just put the end of the tubing itself, hooked to the air pump in the container, and I also have the cuttings under my growlights.
I'll post of pic of mine shortly, so you can see how they look! wink

Nikkal

#9854 December 2nd, 2003 at 11:06 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Weezie for posting Njoynit's photos. Oh My Gosh! "LeGrandFinale" Brug is insanely awesome!! What a beauty! Mine are not at all that big yet!!

Njoynit ~ Since the Brug roots spread soooooo fast, I do tend to repot them yearly. I repot early spring though, right before I drag them back outside. Before they get ready to bust out with some new growth. I plant them in "Gardener's Bloom" potting soil (it's got a smorgasbord of different poops in it) and they seem to like that one best of several I've tried. I don't sink the pots. That would require digging, and I'm a diletante when it comes to labor-intensive tasks wink Actually, I have Rheum. Arthritis and it is much easier for me to garden in pots. But I have managed to grow e v e r y t h i n g in pots from Silk trees & Weeping Elms, to Bamboos, to Austrailian tree Ferns...(and Brugs). But I digress. I don't think I would sink the pots even if I could bcz I'm in California. But for the frost, the weather generally doesn't warrant it. As for the fertilizer I feel I have a nice little trick up my sleeve. I fetilize very often, just like you, with greenhouse 20-20-20. But, the stuff that actually blew mind, that gave my Brugs sooooo many blooms (I can only imagine what it'd do to your "LeGrandFinale" - there'd probably be more blooms than leaves!) is "Superthrive". This stuff is absolutely amazing. If you can get your hands on some - do it! It is a super combo of Vitamins and Hormones that will give you an insane amount of floweringout of your babies. You add it to your can with your water fertilizer and water. You won't believe it. Truly. The Superthrive comes in this funky dark brown bottle with all this kind of wild writing all over the label. I was really sceptical at first. But this stuff works. Really!

Nikkal I know what you mean about obsession! I love these plants! I wish I could find more varieties where I live, but the rare times I find them, they are the same ones I already have! The b. insignis I have is unique though, It has blue-green, slightly hairy leaves and the flowers are double petaled. One trumpet inside the other. It's kinda showy. Thanks for transposing all that great info for me. I'm definitely going to "put them to sleep" for the winter. I did this last year barely knowing what I was doing at the time and they looked much better when spring arrived.

#9855 December 2nd, 2003 at 11:33 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
GardenZealot,
Papito is also from California,
he grows alot of things in pots,
and maybe he could give you
some pointers on pots?????? Duh ??????

Weezie

#9856 December 3rd, 2003 at 12:20 AM
Weezie, isn't Superthrive the stuff you like so well?? (I think it was you, but the memory isn't too good these days Duh )

Thanks for the tips GardenZ, I want to know all I can about these babies before spring arrives!! I love getting tips from folks that have actually tried them!
Where did you get the Superthrive?

I've got several varieties of brugs, maybe next fall I'll be able to send you some cuttings to expand your collection!

Nikkal

#9857 December 3rd, 2003 at 12:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nikkal
It was "Spray~N~Grow" on QVC....
It did wonderful for blooms.
I found basically one problem with it,
I have so many plants, that I'm
going to have to get one of those
back pack sprayers or such, to
compensate so much hand spraying!
(My hand got tired!!)
But it worked nice, a bit pricey!
I didn't have the heart to do seperate tests,
like I might do, you know, spray one, not the other.
I do like the Shultz Bloom Plus also, that's the
water soluble one. Lot's of hand watering too for so many plants.
Will have to work on something a bit easier for so many plants.????????????????

Weezie
I call that "Brain~Drain" when I can't remember stuff!!! What were we talking about/??? LOL wink

#9858 December 3rd, 2003 at 01:57 AM
Well, I was close, but as you say, no cigar! laugh laugh Think I'll look into both of these and see what I can find out! Thanks!

Nikkal

#9859 December 8th, 2003 at 07:21 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hey guys, sorry I took so long to jump back in, got swamped at work...

Nikkal - I got my Superthrive at "Longs Drugs". They are all over California. I don't know about TN though...

Oh my gosh Weezie, It does sound like you have a loooooot of plants to spray. I bought the 4oz size of Superthrive and it cost me about $7.00. However, you only need 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon of water, so it really does last a long, long time. I just water the rootball directly. I know it's a bit crazy. I just kind of "marathon it". To do the yard and the house with a 2 gallon can takes me about 3 hours. But I only do that every other week. I do some plants - the Brugs, the Geraniums, Abutilon every few days and that doesn't take too long.

~Timi

#9860 December 8th, 2003 at 07:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Timi,
I have one bed alone that's 60ft long.
Then the 5 raised beds for vegetables,
then I have another assortment of mini~beds
about (let's count)oh, say 10 of various sizes.
Then I have alot of pots here and there.
THEN............................................
I live next door to my mother who then has Ohmygosh, I have no idea how long this landscaped fence is, but it's loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong!!!
Filled with shrubs and bulbs and perennials, etc.
Then her house has about (let's count again) 7 mini~beds and a split rail fence that we decorate with pots, and hanging pots on shepard's hooks.
The other side of the fence my tenant gardens on with pots and baskets!!!!

SO, There's aloooooooooooooooooooooooot of plants around here to hand squeeze.
Maybe Santa will bring me a back sprayer.......
Oh, I would be in heaven!!!!!!

We gotta see some pictures of the Brug's!!!!

Weezie

#9861 December 9th, 2003 at 04:20 AM
Thanks GardenZ! We don't have any Long's Drug here, but I've done some checking, and the Superthrive is supposed to be available at Wal-Mart. (we have plenty of those! :rolleyes: ) I'll see the next time I'm there.
I second Weezie's request, can we see some Brug pics??? wink

Nikkal

#9862 December 9th, 2003 at 05:03 AM
I would also love to see some brug. pictures. I had several plants for 4 years and never got a single bloom. I guess I didn't feed them often enough, though I thought I was feeding them with each watering. I finally got rid of them this fall because I really don't have the room inside for them.

Would anyone be willing to share a few cuttings once things warm up again? grinnnn I can share some seeds, or pay postage?

Thanks...

#9863 December 9th, 2003 at 05:50 PM
Weezie.buy one of those 2 gallon bug sprayers.mine has a strap to hang over my shoulder & I pump it up and squeeze the wand and a walking-squirting I go-go-go...LOL just be sure you clean it out after each use for working long time don't leave your fluids in it and check rubbers before useing and if needed wipe vasoline on them I'm down to 2 now and that 3rd one was actually easier to use but left an inch of chemicle in over winter and ate holes in bottom so leaked...i may still fiberglass it with hubbys bondo crap.my one useing now leaks down my arm as I spray.

Yes grande finale was a real show stopper.when I moved I dug that one up and let my neighbor have and planted it in for her.my cutting rotted so learned to not trust one cutting if is all you took it will die for that lone fact...a lone cutting.that was a 2 yr old plant.both yrs grew 4 ft then branched& bloomed.was a thick trunk of a cutting when started.i really have to get another someday

I have used superthrive before but we have this so called walmart that really sucks...but they do put their plant foods on 50% end of year& they don't carry super thrive.when i asked the garden gal took me to a dietary supplement isle and said maybe would find what was looking for here(must have been the B1 that mentioned that lost her do ya think????)) I'm currently useing schultz starter plus root stimulator with B1& so far i like it is 2 cap fulls to a gallon jug(maybe 1/4 cup?)
as to airstone.I do have 3 of them,but are not in use at all.I may use one on the bucket of frostys though cause is 78 cuttings in this bucket.i did ad some hydrogen peroxide to bucket yesterday and 2 jars.the HP adds oxygen to them& I will sometimes add to my fertilizer

yep come spring we need to trade some cuttings.I'm still trying to get hold of john my MIL neighbor for cuttings of his yellow.i believe his is sunray but not100% on that.I have frosty pink...unknown pink& charles g...won't part with no dr suess cause have plans for those cuttings.but for 2004 in fall will have tons of those to share as am makeing6 more plants besides the 2 I have& is one that have done TRUNK EXPERIMENT with is 2 ft long 2 of them

when we get closer to haveing my porch done I may grow 2 in pots to set on steps.am thinking of haveing 2 urn style pots with plants filled and have charles g park there with other flowers at base...just gotta find plants that will eat up tons of fertilizer& water

#9864 December 9th, 2003 at 08:40 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Oh boy, I wish I had some Brug pics. I don't. Can you believe it??? I'll have to wait until this spring to take new ones.

My goodness Weezie, I can't believe how much planting area you have!! I would kill for that much room!!! It sounds wonderful. Heck, don't wait for Santa for that sprayer - you need it now!!

Njoynit - I can't beleive you gave away that beautiful white blooming wonder! What could've possible came over you ?! laugh Ooooh, I'd be waaaayy to selfish and horde that one for myself.

Does anyone have any double blooming varieties? I have one double white, but I would love to get my hands on a pink or yellow. Mine are dormant now and look terrible with hardy any leaves. We'll all have to trade cutting when the weather turns.

#9865 December 10th, 2003 at 01:27 AM
Count me in for cuttings in Fall 2004! thumbup My little 4" pots are soaking up water as I type, so I can move most of my cuttings that have been rooting water to pots this evening. wink They're doing so well, new leaves sprouting all over them! I can barely walk by my plant stand without stopping to look at my babies every time! :rolleyes:
If I'm like this now, imagine how I'll be next spring, when they turn into "real" plants!! laugh laugh

Nikkal

#9866 December 10th, 2003 at 04:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup
Weezie

#9867 December 10th, 2003 at 03:55 PM
I guess i just loved my neighbor alot when gave her that plant.but when moved did not have space at all for my plants so they had to take the cold....be covered.we bought property that had all utilities in but had to build so we stayed in our SHED roughing it started out with a 12x12 room that had washer/dryer(used as a cabinet& is STILL used as cabinet) we both sleept on sectional couch.i was SOOOOOO glad to move out of sardine box when got bathroom added(12x12)livingroom(20x16)We moved in feb took cold showers outdoors till march then cold showers in an actual shower.I just got my sink hooked up this weekend.so no more washing in cooler.i moved here & stuck 14 plants in ground and on cold nights was covering with blankets& plastic.was shocked my claduims made it.lost maybe 20 plants but were not hardy....just imagine the looks we got going down road with plants and a pond loaded to the hilt in back of hubbys boat& imagine the whole entire nneighborhood comeing out when he came home one friday to find i had loaded my plants in his boat& tied my pond on back too boot.that boat had 147 plants loaded in and had 30 some odd more that came in another trip in back of van.I do miss that white bloomer but my neighbor is in her 80s and know she enjoys it& her daughter will someday in future if she hasn't took cuttings from it already for more.also i got alot of starts& divisions of neighbors plants not to mention Three 5 gallon buckts of cannas
but see now i love dr suess that much cause he is AWESOME BABY!!!! angell luv

Weezie...ya sure ya ain't got just one spot to over winter this baby?????just hook it up to a IV of fertilizer set on slow drip ...maybe a tenant would overwinter it for ya!lol I have 6 plants at my neighbors house...I needed his window,i just can't go and water them right now cause he bought me a gift that can't be wraped.my hint was I have looked at it

#9868 December 10th, 2003 at 04:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Njoynit,
It's a smaller appt. and we used to live upstairs and renovated downstairs...
when we lived up stairs it was so crowded for us 3, now there's 4 and that's why we moved down stairs. And they came from a good sized house to,
so they are crammed in *so to speak* up there,
No room.
I have 2 windows that would accommindate plants,
both have heater vents directly under them,
which isn't good on the plants.
And a wee~one that was born a monkey not a baby!!
(*Plus those are poisionous, that's all I'd need with monkey boy*) That's one of his nick~names...
I used to have alot of house plants at my parents house (they had 3 huge picture windows and sliding glass doors upstairs living room and we called it the gold~fish bowl, because it was windows all the way around the room, and I had huge rubber trees, elephant ears, and dracenda's (sp), jades, begonia's, aloe's, cactus's, spiders grn and striped, I had alot~alot~alot of plants,
but when I moved the first time, I took them with me, but not much window space and that started to stress them and then I moved here upstairs and needless to say, I have but a few stragglers hanging on because of no room....
I have some in my basement, and they are just not happy there for the winter and come summer they are happy~happy, but I just don't have the space.
When I win the lottery, I'll put on one of those greenhouse's off the house.
Dreamin' again!!

Weezie

#9869 December 10th, 2003 at 08:57 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Oh my gosh! You know njoynit - Hubby and I are renting a duplex right now and my landlord has been really great. But we almost got kicked out as soon as we moved in. When he saw us bring 8 truckloads of potted plants into the backyard, he almost pooped his drawers! He said, "Well, if I'da known you had this many plants, I might not have rented to you..." It's so too bad you've moved to a colder panting zone. But the bright side is, you'll be able to plant different plants you couldn't have grown in your old place.

Weezie - I have the same window problem at my house. I have only 1 south facing window in the bedroom. And a tiny northfacing window in the livingroom. Both have heater vents right smack in the middle. I bought a couple heat-register deflector thingies that divert the heat across the floor - which is okay because heat rises - then I got a couple cheap plant stands that stradled the heat deflector, and viola! plants in front of the window. This may work for you too grinnnn

#9870 December 21st, 2003 at 06:46 AM
we have started frameing the next 2 rooms flw I'm excited.have no idea what color i t will be was a cross of frosty xx unknown.

#9871 December 22nd, 2003 at 06:04 PM
njoynit -
Now you know I'm a newbie at brugs, so this is just a guess, but the only "fuzzy" cuttings I have are double whites (don't know if they're candida or not). Maybe you're going to have some Double Pinks!!! thumbup

Nikkal

Link Copied to Clipboard