This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98486 November 7th, 2006 at 06:01 PM
OP Offline
Hey,
I'm babysitting a spider plant for my landlady and I have no idea how to take care of it. All she said was, "water it". How much water does this type of plant need and how often? Also, does it require a certain type of light? Please let me know! Duh

#98487 November 7th, 2006 at 07:55 PM
I keep mine in medium to bright light - no direct sun. Near a window with blinds or those filmy curtains is great.

Water when the soil is dry. You can check by sticking your finger about an inch into the soil.

When you water, take the plant to the sink and take off the saucer/water catcher thing under the pot.

I find it easier to use the sprayer if you have one, water until the H2O is running out from the drain holes. Let it sit until it stops dripping then put the saucer/water catcher back on and put the plant back wherever you are keeping it.

#98488 November 7th, 2006 at 08:14 PM
Kate, how long will you be plant-sitting? If your landlady is going to be gone for less than 3 or 4 weeks, she may as well have left the Spider at her place (unless her house will be getting too cold while she's away).

Spider plants like their soil to get very dry between waterings, & if you water them too much the leaves will start turning brown. I water mine about every 3 weeks in the wintertime, & a little more often during the summer when the humidity is lower. If your heat source dries the air out a lot (like wood heat, for example) you might want to check it for moisture by sticking your finger down into the soil, & water it more often if you don't feel any dampness.

Spiders don't do well in low light, but they won't tolerate direct sunlight. Bright, reflected light is best.

When I was away for a few weeks a couple years ago, my husband watered my Spider plants & Aloe Vera every 2 or 3 days, & drowned everything before I got back! (He thought he was doing the right thing, but I'd never thought to mention to him that those plants thrive on neglect!) I had to repot the Spider right away to get it out of the wet dirt, & it survived but it took a couple months before it perked back up! The Aloe was toast.

Good luck!

#98489 November 7th, 2006 at 08:26 PM
Myndful, if I hadn't have walked away from my desk in the middle of my post, or if I'd have checked to see if someone else had answered Kate's question when I came back, I wouldn't have continued! laugh

Kate, now you have it from two sources! It must sound like we know what we're talking about, eh? thumbup

#98490 November 8th, 2006 at 09:03 AM
always wanted a spider plant..cannot seem to fin them anywhere.

#98491 November 11th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone! I probably would have ended up over-watering it. I have this plant for at least 6 months, so the info. is greatly appreciated!

#98492 November 11th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
chenno- If you want one; they have "babies" which readily grow if you just set them in soil. Next time you see one look for babies hanging off amongst the fronds. break it off and set the pointed end into water or soil.

#98493 November 11th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
V
V
Good info for you here laugh
Too bright of light and the spider plant leaves can become pale to transluscent!
If the water is chlorinated or has floride the best thing to do is fill gallon jugs and leave the cap off overnight to let chlorine and floride evaporate. Spider plants seem to be especially sensetive to these minerals in the water and often cause the browing and dry tips.

Vera

#98494 November 12th, 2006 at 02:42 AM
Let me just add, the leaves can also become a whitish color, or pale & translucent if the soil is left dry for TOO long.

#98495 November 12th, 2006 at 03:28 AM
D
D
rescued 2 spidey's from store, half dead. my husband said WHY? i said just watch........... well brought them home re-pot, water, tlc... they were still not happy..so in summer still warm i put them on my front porch and ignored them. { i think the neighbor watered them}} they looked the same. well then cold snap and frost. brought them in , watered, put into the "forest" on my counter, Guess what?? they are ok..!!!!! not huge but some new growth, very green , seem to be happy now.. even some baby's growing too...

#98496 January 30th, 2007 at 03:49 PM
D
D
well after a while they still do not like me i guess.. so i gave them to a friend. i was over to her house a couple of days ago, they semm to like her better.. mabe because she has them near different light. morning , east facing, in the kitchen.. oh well. im glad they are still alive, for her to enjoy.

#98497 January 31st, 2007 at 04:23 AM
I have mine in a bit more light, right under and to either side of a skylight. I also water a bit every week, not too much and they are thriving for me. I just feel better about giving them a little water weekly rather than only once in a while and maybe forgetting.

Angie, I have some babies that I can root if you would like me to start them going for you. I think I am up to 4 stems of babies at this point on my largest plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard