This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98333 February 16th, 2007 at 08:33 PM
N
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I LOVE this subject!! Although, I've not been able to work in my new garden, I plan to this spring/summer/fall.

Here's my dilema (sp):
I want to use seeds to expand my garden, but I don't have anywhere to start/grow seeds indoors. We've got a small house & 2 boys under 4, so keeping things on the floor is out.

I'm in Columbus, OH, which is between 2 different zones/areas (April 1-May 31). I need ideas of how to start the seeds, get them into the ground & keep them growing (& not eaten by the bunny buddies in our neighborhood).

I also want to have a compost tumbler, but would like to try to make one. Has anyone tried this w/success?? I know there are tumblers that can be bought, but they're megga pricy & not a possibility @ this time.

Thanks gang & it's great to be back!!

#98334 February 16th, 2007 at 09:31 PM
I know some people use trash cans for composting although I'm not sure on the specifics. THey all seem to like it and find it easy.

I've got 2 girls under 5, so I know what you mean about the seed issue. Have looked into wintersowing? That is what I'm trying out this year, if it is as easy as everyone claims it is, then it will be my germinating method from now on. Here is the link: Wintersowing Home Page

Good luck with the bunny issue. I found in our crawl space, old white wire-fencing stuff. It's about a foot high and seems to help keep the little stinkers out, but with the snow they are just walking over, and doing whatever they want in there!!

Welcome Back!
Sarah

#98335 February 17th, 2007 at 07:07 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I used to have a problem with rabbits when I lived in Arkansas. I bought a roll of chicken wire and made tunnels over my plants with it to keep the rabbits from being able to get to the goodies. If you have a long row, just make several short runs with the wire so it's not too much trouble to get up for picking. I made my own pegs out of rocks (no problem to find in the foothills outside Little Rock) but you could buy landscape fabric pins now. They were especially fond of things like beans, peas, lettuce, etc., but usually left my tomatoes alone.

#98336 March 19th, 2007 at 03:04 AM
N
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
I've got 2 girls under 5, so I know what you mean about the seed issue. Have looked into wintersowing? That is what I'm trying out this year, if it is as easy as everyone claims it is, then it will be my germinating method from now on. Here is the link: Wintersowing Home Page
Excellent link!! And... excellent thinking!! I have a feeling it's a little late for me to try this, but I didn't get a chance to read the whole story/essay about winter sowing. Maybe it's not too late. Wow... !! That'll be fantastic for next year. It'll be great too, 'cause my soon-to-be 4 yr old can help me plant the seeds.

Thanks a million!!

#98337 March 19th, 2007 at 08:27 AM
NuSkewl, before I built my compost bins I read something about how you could use either a metal or plastic trash can for composting. thumbup They, worked great, but I really wanted to have some regular compost bins. lala lala

Link Copied to Clipboard