This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98250 December 31st, 2006 at 02:26 AM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
I knew they were there, but they did not sprout last spring. Now my daffodils are coming up and I was wondering if I can dig them and take them to my new house next month when I move?? Any suggestions on how to do this without losing the plants altogether??

#98251 December 31st, 2006 at 03:21 AM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
I did read in the "tutorial" about them that you typically need to dig them after the plant itself had died down, but I am not going to have this option..... I am not too worried about losing this years flowers as long as they will return next year.....

#98252 December 31st, 2006 at 04:29 AM
I am not going to have this option
So go ahead & dig them up before you move & either put them in pots or get them into the ground again ASAP. Any time you move a plant that is already coming up, if you get a lot of soil in each shovel full (so as not to disturb the bulbs) they might not even know they've been moved.

I don't know where you're moving to, but if you're moving them to a climate where it might still freeze, you may want to pot them up & keep them out of the frost, since they've already started sprouting.

Daffs are pretty hardy & can take a lot of cold weather, but I'm always afraid that when the tulips & daffodils start up this early, they'll get bitten & we won't see them at all in the spring! [Linked Image] (I live in an area where the ground doesn't freeze below the surface, so we don't have to dig up ANY of our bulbs!) grinnnn

#98253 December 31st, 2006 at 05:07 AM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Patty! kissies I am only moving about a half hour away, so they should be fine, I just know that some things "shock" very badly and don't want to lose them from that. Any idea how deep they should be planted? I should've paid a bit more attention during my glance at the tutorial, I guess shocked

The reason I will have to move them when we move is that we rent here and I can't come into someone else's yard and start digging laugh laugh I will be outside digging tomorrow! clp

#98254 December 31st, 2006 at 06:41 AM
Tonya, since they're already breaking ground, replant them so the soil level is the same. If you get them up by the shovel full & don't disturb them, the one's that haven't poked through yet should end up at the same depth that they are now, after you've moved them.

Otherwise, as a rule of thumb, I plant most bulbs the same as I do seeds... twice the depth of the bulb/seed itself. That doesn't apply to all plants, such as Iris (which are rhizomes anyway, & not bulbs).

#98255 December 31st, 2006 at 08:55 PM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
kissies Thank you sooooo much Patty!! Technically- these belong to the former tennants here, but thumbup

#98256 December 31st, 2006 at 09:35 PM
Hey, as long as you were the one who kept them alive (or at least they didn't die under your care), I think that makes them YOURS! grinnnn

Good luck with your move... looking forward to seeing the pics WHEN they bloom! (Never say "if") [Linked Image]

#98257 December 31st, 2006 at 10:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
patty gave good advice, that works, so i'm not adding a thing.

#98258 December 31st, 2006 at 11:51 PM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
Good luck with your move... looking forward to seeing the pics WHEN they bloom! (Never say "if")
One of the little 4 inch sprouts has a bloom pod on it, so it won't be too terribly long before I get a pic! grinnnn YAY!! I can't wait to see some color outside again! My camelia is also about to bloom clp I will definitely get a pic of that also!

#98259 January 2nd, 2007 at 02:38 PM
S
S
i thought daffodils were one of the few plants you could dig up and plant wile still in bloom,

cant wait to see your daffodil pis and your new house Tonya!

#98260 January 2nd, 2007 at 09:24 PM
I have 2 clumps that I moved last year....one clump has BUDS one clump has BLOOMS.My others are still pushing up foliage.

I've moved daffs in all stages.before bud,barely broke ground,blooming& after bloom.They all seemed to do pretty well.
Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard