This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98216 January 15th, 2007 at 08:01 AM
N
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
i love plants but im allergic to mold, so i grow a lot of plants in water i was wondering do jades do well in just water???

Until someone else comes along you could look in Cacti and succulents. Several threads going about Jade plants with lots of posts in each one. Might help for right now.

N
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thanks do know any other plants that will thrive in just water??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nigel, jades are the one house plant that you shouldn't ever have a problem with mold in. they thrive in dry soil, and i usually only water mine once every 3-4 weeks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jades would NOT do well being kept in water...as jiffy said, they like dry conditions.

so, that one would be a good plant for you to have. also, aloe and haworthia and cactus - basically anything that is some type of succulent. they like drier conditions so mold would never be an issue.

some plants that do well when kept in water are pothos, ivy, arrowhead vine, lucky bamboo (which is actually a draceana) and wandering jew. i've also got a chinese evergreen in water - i'd put it in to get the roots going better and it's doing so well that i've just left it.

N
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thanks alot for the info!

N
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
also can you post a pic of what your chinese evergreen looks like? and whered you get it?
thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my boss was contacted by someone who wanted him to invest in his company...they do this thing with these crystals that retain water. they guy sent a bunch of the plants to the office...i maintined them until it was obvious the crystals weren't worth diddly...

took everything home to properly root them...the chinese evergreen started doing really well - grew fuller and sent out numerous shoots. to the point that i actually split one of them off and now have an additional plant. time factor is really what's kept me from potting them up...they've been doing so well, tho...i might just leave them be.

this pic is from about this time last year, i think...since then it grew and i split off a few shoots for new plants (for me and as trades)

i don't know the name of this particular variety...i just recently bought a silver queen one (which IS in soil) and that's doing okay...it has different light requirements and i don't really have it in the most optimum spot.

for this one, below, it should have bright filtered light and, if in soil, should be allowed to dry out a little before rewatering. for the silver queen variety, it needs less light and more water.

[Linked Image]

N
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
i have heard that inpatients do well in water is that true ??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't know about that. my daughter has one that she lets get really dry and it is very happy, almost continually in bloom.

T
T
I tried to root impatiens in water for several years just to get more plants for my flower beds, but they just rotted in the water, so I just started using rooting hormone and they went crazy. As for the Jade plant, they don't root in water either. When I knock a leaf off or just want to start a plant for somebody, I just stick the leaf in soil. It takes a bit before it roots, but if you're patient it will take and before you know it, it has little leaves growing around the bottom.

Link Copied to Clipboard