This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98154 September 16th, 2006 at 08:38 AM
R
OP Offline
R
hi i have this plant but i dont know what it is called. please let me know if you recognize it, i have no idea what it is, and i want to grow more. please help. thanks [Linked Image]

#98155 September 16th, 2006 at 08:39 AM
I think it is a dracaena. What type, I am not sure...

Dianna

#98156 September 16th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
I agree with Dianna, Dracaena marginata or "Madagascar Dragon tree", I think.
Pretty easy to propagate from cuttings, spring is the best time. wink

#98157 September 16th, 2006 at 12:51 PM
I third the Dracaena marginata. thumbup

#98158 September 16th, 2006 at 02:31 PM
Hi again, Russ! wavey

I'm guessing that within the maze of forums here, you lost track of where you'd put your original post about this plant! (It's in the House plant forum, & I had replied to your first question there, last night/this morning.) Here\'s the link. .

Now that you've posted a photo, (That was quick! Good job!) [Linked Image] and we have confirmation, I'm not sure which forum to continue in with my reply to your other question, about propagation! Duh

Am I confused yet? perpl (AGAIN?) laugh

#98159 September 16th, 2006 at 03:40 PM
Oh, what the heck... I'll post it in both forums! grinnnn

Shortly after joining the forum, just a year ago, I had questions about this same plant, & my new friends offered up a lot of interesting information about it. (I found that old thread, after digging around in the Mystery Plants archive , so I'm passing it along to you.)

The only thing that's not covered there is the type of potting soil & specific water requirements. Here's what I've learned, & what is working for me...
Dracaenas require a light plant media (such as peat-based potting soil) with gravel/rocks at the bottom, to ensure good drainage. They're not happy when they're over-watered or when their roots stay wet. (Ideally, the soil should be allowed to get quite dry between waterings.) Too much water will cause their leaves to discolor & start dropping.

Since the (lower) leaves dry & fall off as a normal part of their growing process, that can be deceptive... & fool a person into thinking they need more water!
Watering should be the second concern, as good drainage is PRIMARY.

Link Copied to Clipboard