This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97800 February 18th, 2007 at 06:59 AM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
I am so sad. I should have brought it in I guess! I have a Hydrangea and she was so beautiful once she recooperated from my torture! ( :p I had her in too much sun when I first got her) and now I have her on my porch that is blocked from freezing breezes and ice/snow. But I did not know what to do with the plant during winter so I left it outside since I have no room indoors anyways. Seems like I may have killed it. Does anyone know if they have to be brought in or not and why don't those stupid tags that come with plants tell you everything you need to know?? Ugh!

#97801 February 18th, 2007 at 07:24 AM
Those stupid tags that come with plants don't tell you everything you need to know, because they want you to keep buying plants! (Same with seeds that dont say on the packets if they need light or stratification **cold treatment** in order to germinate.) mad

Hydrangeas are pretty hardy, so don't give up on her! It's early in the year yet, so give her time to wake up... you'll probably start seeing buds forming! Ideally, Hydrangeas should be mulched over in the wintertime, but a lot depends on how cold your winters get.

Here is a link to a discussion about Hydrangeas from last year, when I was asking a question similar to yours. In that thread, you'll also find a link to The Garden Helper's page on Hydrangea Cultivation Requirements.

Best of luck! flw

#97802 February 18th, 2007 at 07:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'll assume the hydrangea is in a pot, since you said you moved it. please wrap some blankets or burlap around the pot. since it's not in the ground, you need to protect the roots. if you can move it to a covered area - like an unheated garage, that's even better.

also, you will still need to water it - a good soak every couple of weeks should be enough.

i'm sure it will be just fine - they do tend to die back a bit (depending on variety) and will grow back once the warmer weather sets in.

if you do move it to a garage, leave it there until it is consistently above 45 at night. then you can bring it back outside.

when spring arrives, you really should put it in the ground - then you can just put a heavy layer of mulch around it for it to over-winter (much easier than dealing with wrapping a pot or moving it back and forth!).

hydrangeas generally need partial shade to have the best growth...morning sun is best with shade during the hot afternoon hours. late day sun is okay too.

if you can't find a spot with those exact conditions, that's okay too...just find some place that will offer shade for the majority of the afternoon sun and just give it extra watering. they're thirsty to begin with...and the extra sunlight will dry them out.

do you know the name of the variety? i ask because some bloom on new growth and some on old...it'd be nice to be able to tell you when to prune it!

#97803 February 18th, 2007 at 08:27 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
Endless summer. I think it got too cold.

#97804 February 18th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that one blooms on new growth AND old growth...so, you can get more blooms by lightly pruning and deadheading.

don't give up hope! they DO die back a bit in the winter, so, you never know!! i'd water it tho (especially if you haven't for a while)

#97805 February 20th, 2007 at 01:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i second what joclyn said. they are amazingly sturdy!

#97806 February 20th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
thanx!

#97807 March 23rd, 2007 at 01:24 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok Good news! I almost dug it up then I noticed little budding leaves!!! I am so happy and now here it is today!

plants%20march%2007/hydrangea002.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants%20march%2007/hydrangea001.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Link Copied to Clipboard