This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97732 February 2nd, 2007 at 02:28 PM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
My paretns are selling our house, and yesterday we had people come to inspect the house. My grandpa planted a beautiful double light pink peony in our backyard fifteen years ago and it's been neglected and left to survive on its own for all these years. I've asked our agent to see if we can give the house over 90 days after everything's done to give me time to wait for the ground to unfreeze and to be able to divide the peony. Now I know that divided peonies and transplanted ones will not flower for 3 to 5 years, can anyone offer any advice? What shoul I do with the peony? I really want to take it with me cuz it reminds me of my grandfather. Should I be dividing it? If I do, I can probably divide up a few more corms to share with others but the question of whether I should divide is still hanging in there.

#97733 February 2nd, 2007 at 02:44 PM
I am sorry to hear that you have to move Kenny....i cant offer any advice but i am sure someone will be along to help you.

#97734 February 2nd, 2007 at 03:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it is definitely dormate now so no problem if you can get it out of the ground that is. Remember when you divide them you want at least 3 eyes on each piece. They can be divided and planted in the spring no problem. That's when I originally planted mine. And I dug them up in the fall this year to give them away since I knew I'd be moving.

Since I'm in zone seven I'm not sure about what you will need to do to store them. Hopefully someone will have that information for you.

#97735 February 2nd, 2007 at 03:15 PM
A
A
Fall is the best time to divide a peony, but since that isn't an option if it is at all possible to wait until the ground isn't frozen I would. The problem with moving it now is that the roots are frozen and easily broken. You may also have trouble digging through frozen soil. If you do try it, do it on a relatively warm day, get as much of the root ball as you can, if it is frozen let it thaw out before removing the soil and then divide it giving each section at least 2 or 3 eyes. Repeated thawing and freezing can cause damage, so you may want to wait to plant them until late winter/early spring. Good luck!

#97736 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:08 PM
S
S
yep! do what alan says thumbup and just keep your starters in a cool place till spring,
i have white peonys that were my gramas, and you bet id take em with me if i ever moved! thumbup my fav plants are the ones that were my gramas, those arnt just flowers their memories cool

#97737 February 18th, 2007 at 01:13 PM
L
L
Hi Kennyso - Remember when you replant your peonies to put the crown of the transplant at the same level it was before. Peonies are fussy that way. If the crown is too low, the plant will grow and leaf out, but never bloom.

Link Copied to Clipboard