This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97556 October 16th, 2006 at 11:49 PM
OP Offline
Can I bag leaves this fall and keep them in my cold garage all winter? Add them to the compost bin next spring?

Can I collect my kitchen scraps and do the same? I'm guessing put them in a big garbage bin out in the garage or even out in the snow so it freezes and doesn't stink and wait until spring and throw it in my compost bins?

Anything else I can do this fall/winter to prepare for composting in the spring?

I made a compost bin, but would like 3, as I keep adding to it. When I turned it the other day it was white - ashy like and steamy - that's good right!? I was so excited! The bottom looked really good and broken down...I just keep adding to it, I'm not going to be able to use it this fall as it's getting so late, can I just leave it out for the winter...maybe put a tarp over it and let it freeze?

#97557 October 17th, 2006 at 12:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
When I turned it the other day it was white - ashy like and steamy - that's good right!?
YESSSSS!! That's good...
And keep putting stuff in, it'll keep it working for as long as possible..

You can add your ingredients all winter long as long as you can trudge to the bin...
And YES you can keep some of those leaves off to the side so they don't freeze, that's a good idea.. I always add my stuff thru the winter..
and that's a great idea you have to keep those leaves and then you can add a layer of them after you get a layer of food scraps... then put a layer of leaves.. they'll all freeze, but yet will marinate of the months with warm ups, sun shine and thaws... and come spring, it'll be mixed nicely and will not have such a hard time getting back into the "composting process"..

#97558 October 17th, 2006 at 12:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'll do this in sections...
So, I don't get too confusing...

Can I collect my kitchen scraps and do the same? I'm guessing put them in a big garbage bin out in the garage or even out in the snow so it freezes and doesn't stink and wait until spring and throw it in my compost bins?
I did that one winter, cause I didn't want to trudge to the bin...and it worked.. I did mine in Ziplock baggie/containers... kept it easier to keep in sections, smaller portions to move and store, and clean up was alot easier..
But you can still add the scrap's during the winter, especially if you load those chopped leaves in between..

But I've also just kept throwing in just kitchen scrap's over each other, does take a bit of learning curve every spring, but you'll get a feel for it, and you'll learn how to keep it going or get it going.. just be dilagent and watch all signs of what happens when you do what to it.. you'll get it.. *just takes a bit of time*
and don't hesitate to keep asking questions,
that's how you learn..

#97559 October 17th, 2006 at 01:16 AM
OP Offline
So if I wanted to, I could just put the leaves in bags and just keep putting my scraps out in the bin I already have going and layer leaves between them all winter and it will thaw next spring? Should I put a tarp over it - I'm guessing yes - otherwise it could have LOTS of snow on it!

#97560 October 17th, 2006 at 04:25 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yep, or a wooden board over it instead..
The snow maybe heavy on top, and then you'd
have a pile of snow on top of the tarp...
Not that that would hurt, but tryin' to get into
the pile everytime you have snow on top of the tarp may get old.. a quick shovel to the board and it's off.. if you know what I mean...

#97561 October 17th, 2006 at 07:13 PM
Thanks I was going to ask the same Question.. thumbup

#97562 March 5th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
I add my stuff to the compost piles all year long . In the coldest weather I put a plastic sheeting over just the top to keep it warm and make access easier under snow conditions . A little rain does not hurt but too much can wash compost away in open air piles such as mine .So in heavy down pours or lengthy rain spells I cover it . I have several piles going all the time . I have a special "pen" out in the back yard that is just for compost piles . I live in an area that does not get alot of snow , although this year we had some aweful ice storms . I keep empty plastic coffee cans for scraps and dump them when they get full into a 5 gallon bucket just out the back door during these times . If the weather is good I just carry the cans out and dump in the piles when they get full . When raking leaves I keep them in a bag off to one side and add on top of the piles when putting scraps on top . For those without leaves use shredded cardboard or newspaper for the brown part too . I shred newspapers everyday , along with papertowel and toilet paper rolls . I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of the kitchen for this stuff and when it is full I carry out to the compost pen . It works great .

#97563 March 5th, 2007 at 05:48 AM
I add stuff to my compost bins all winter, and I keep aerating them as long as can. wink This year it was a lot longer, but then we got the big ice storm and that put an end to the aerating for the winter. frown I also keep all my finely mulched leaves in large plastic bags so I can add them whenever I add my kitchen scraps. wink This year I added three leaf bins just for all my coarsely mulched leaves and I'm not putting anything else in them. frown

Link Copied to Clipboard