This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97496 February 6th, 2007 at 03:26 PM
OP Offline
Is anyone familiar with these? I ordered some Baby toes seeds (Fenestraria rhopalophylla subsp. aurantiaca) and was wondering if anyone had pointers on how to germinate and grow them?

#97497 February 6th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
Oh!!! I LOVE babies toes!!!! They are sooo cool! Although, I do not know anything as far as growing them from seeds and such. I do know that as far as growing them, you should use the type of soil that has bone meal in it. I think Miracle Grow makes it and it is labeled for cacti and then in smaller print it will say succulents. I am not sure if you are supposed to start the seeds in that soil tho. I kind of though you were supposed to start seeds in seed starting soil which is pretty barren........but maybe that is why my seedlings never actually grow! laugh I'm sure someone will come around and have more information for you. If not, then I will try to get some research done tonight or tomorrow for you because now I'm curious. smile I just LOVE succulents!

#97498 February 6th, 2007 at 08:12 PM
M
M
This is my pot of fenestraria; there are 4 plants in there. I grew them from seed, they germinated in sum. '04. The first pic is from last spring, the second I just went down and took after reading your question. I don't remember doing anything special to get them started, except that getting the water right is a little tricky. They are very rot prone in all seasons. They are winter growers, so less water in summer. I let mine shrivvel(sp?) a bit before watering in the summer. Whenever I water them, I water deeply. They grow in a quick draining mix of at least half grit and there is 1/2 inch of pute grit on top so the bottoms of the plants never sit on damp soil.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/DSCN0339.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/DSCN0429-1.jpg

This link has good info on growing mesembs in general.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/lycacti/mesembs.html

This is the kind of habitat they come from.
http://www.galenfrysinger.com/namibia.htm

That said, they're not all that difficult, as long as you don't overwater. Good luck!

#97499 February 7th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
OP Offline
I went to the library, and checked out the entire stock of cacti books (a grand total of 5 books, none after 1973). Only 2 books acknowledge baby toes and living stones (my two fav cacti of the moment). The germinating instructions were as follows: "not for amatuers as water and light requirements are too difficult, best if purchased as plants from mail order." Like that's gonna stop me from trying, HA!

I know I should just go look but with 2 kids, I hate looking for things at stores. Can you tell me where grit (smashed stones, I'm assuming) is sold at? Or should I just start going at the rocks in the driveway with a hammer? lol My hubby would really think I've gone nuts.

Thanks so much for the links Margaret. I think you are my hero. laugh Is there a cactus/succulent that you can't grow or don't know about? I doubt it! You're baby toes look beautiful, I'm can't wait to get mine going!

#97500 February 8th, 2007 at 07:25 AM
S
S
sara those are so cool! ive never heard of em before!
great pic margaret.

#97501 March 6th, 2007 at 11:09 PM
Those baby toes look so cool . I think I am going to have to get me some now . I love your pics of all the plants around them too .

#97502 March 7th, 2007 at 02:01 PM
Those are cool.....me too...never heard of them before either!!!

#97503 March 19th, 2007 at 05:37 PM
OP Offline
Okay, I think I'm going to take the plunge and actually try to grow these seeds. I've been staring at them for almost a month. How deep of a pot do I need for them? They will be living in my husband's office in July, so if they must be grown in their permanent pot it must look nice. Otherwise, I would just toss them in a little junky pot and transplant later. Is cactus soil quick draining enough or do I need to try to find "grit"?
Thanks!

#97504 March 19th, 2007 at 10:37 PM
M
M
Yes, yes; take the plunge! Don't be afraid, the worst that will happen is that they won't grow, which is what they're not doing right now! seeds are always best freshest. cactus soil should be fine, as will any pot. Later you will want unglazed terra-cotta. Start them as you would start anything, don't let them get too dry while they are germinating, don't let them be soggy, either. Give them sun. Don't put them deep, just a fine dusting of soil on top. I don't remember how long it took mine to germinate, or what the percentage that grew was. Give them time. Good luck!

#97505 March 20th, 2007 at 01:22 AM
Here is what i have and I got mine at Walmart
[Linked Image] I think they are cute
Bettyboop1948
But i can find them in my flower book and the care for them

#97506 March 20th, 2007 at 01:57 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement, Margaret. I'll get them started tonight or maybe tomorrow. It depends on how much cactus mix I have left. I'll do my best to keep them moist.

Betty, those look more like living rocks or lithops than baby toes. But they look great! I wish my walmart carried those. Boy, I'd be buying all they had! Also, check out the link margaret provided earlier in the thread, it's got a great site for the care of this kind of plant.

#97507 March 20th, 2007 at 02:31 PM
I'd love to see some pics once they start growing.....good luck!!

#97508 March 20th, 2007 at 10:18 PM
OP Offline
Thank-you, I'll be needing it. I didn't have enough soil, so I'm going to pick some up this evening and get those little seeds going tonight. I'm hoping that I'll make a good baby-toe mommy. After all, I've raised 20 real baby toes (attached to real babies) so far and they aren't too bad. laugh

#97509 March 21st, 2007 at 03:06 AM
OP Offline
I bought a six-inch "rimmed" terra cotta pot and some cactus mix tonight. I can't believe these seeds are so tiny. I was really wanting to put these in a large, wide, shallow bowl with some other lithops and some river-rocks. But I am under the impression that they have deep roots? Is that correct? They are officially sown, nice and damp, finely dusted, sitting under a fluorescent light.

#97510 March 23rd, 2007 at 04:40 AM
Sarah, you are right, the above picture is living rocks....check your local Lowes. They have started to carry a large variation of succulants.....usually in small, 2" pots.

You will probably be able to transplant the baby toes then they are a little bigger. You'll probably have enough to experiment with different types of pots. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard