This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97161 February 15th, 2007 at 03:50 AM
OP Offline
Has anyone ever traied to grow anything in the wooden barrells? I had a tree taken down. I nailed a 1/2 wooden barrell to the tree stump to cover it. I turned the barrell on it's side to give the appearance that flowers were spilling out of the barrell. I cannot seem to get anything to grow inside the barrell. I live in zone 5. Any suggestions on what plants to use for the look I want? I have thought of growing plants outside of the barrell and trailing inside.
Any ideas are welcome!

#97162 February 15th, 2007 at 04:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What plants were you trying to grow in it, and what are the sun conditions? I'm stumped as to why things wouldn't grow unless they just weren't good container plants and weren't for the right sunlight. perpl

#97163 February 15th, 2007 at 04:27 AM
Try African daisies, in shades of lilac and purple-they will thrive anywhere it's warm.

#97164 February 15th, 2007 at 03:06 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
If you have it in good sun, perhaps a blackeyed Susan vine? Sure would look pretty growing out of your barrell.

Marleine

#97165 February 16th, 2007 at 09:36 AM
It'll depend on the potting soil. Use premium quality potting mix. I have a meyer lemon in a half wine barrel. Ensure there are drainage holes.
Anything you would like to plant will grow there if the soil is suitable

#97166 February 16th, 2007 at 03:47 PM
P
P
My two cents:

I grow some plants in 1/2 wine barrels. I found that the barrels will last longer when there are drainage holes at the bottom of the barrels and the barrels are used upright. Over time the woods will dry/shrink or misshapen and will pull away from the metal bands.

On it's side, the barrel will probably be filled less than 3/4 full, so there will less soil to push the wood staves against the metal band. There's a chance that the staves with no contact with potting soil will dry out quicker, shrink and pull away from the metal band.

That said,you can try a combination of plants.

For full sun with regular watering:

Black-Eyed Susan [Rudbeckia birta]
Asparagus Fern [Asparagus setaceus]
Floss flower [Ageratum houstonianum]
Marigold [Tagetes]
Petunia

For part shade with regular watering:

Leatherleaf Fern [Rumobra adiantiformis]
Lilly-of-the Valley [Convallaria majalis]
Variegated Ivy [Hedera helix 'Glacier']

See Longy's post about potting soil.

#97167 February 16th, 2007 at 04:22 PM
Longy, do you use regular potting soil for your lemon, or cactus mix?

#97168 February 17th, 2007 at 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Longy, do you use regular potting soil for your lemon, or cactus mix?
Deborah, i use premium potting soil in all my pots. I added about 10% compost and maybe some worm castings but a good potting mix should be perfect for most plants. When i say premium, i mean it has all the goodies already added. Ferts, zeolite, other minerals, a gauranteed Ph, manures, Blood and bonemeal etc are already in a good quality mix. cactus mix will drain a little too well, i think , for something like a fruit tree, though i understand your point. Actually i haven't tried it but i might give it a go.I think cactus mix would be more gravelly than regular mixes right??. If the pot/tub has enough drain holes then the cactus mix shouldn't be necessary.

Link Copied to Clipboard