This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problem Bird-of-Paradise Plant
#97101 February 17th, 2007 at 09:00 PM
M
Murray Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a Bird-of-Paradise plant which is really very old and it is inundated with grass and weeds. I wanted to cut it right back, weed between the stems and allow fresh regrowth however I have found this a near impossible task! I have tried a chainsaw, handheld saw and various garden tools as well as weedkiller but absolutely nothing works! My last effort will be with a machete!

The stems are very "rubbery" and simply bend when any tool is applied to them.

Can any of you help me with some advice on this problem, please?

Cheers,

Murray

Re: Problem Bird-of-Paradise Plant
#97102 February 20th, 2007 at 12:49 AM
Hi again Murray,
If you are not able to cut it because it bends with pressure, have a friend grab the end of the leaf and pull the stem tight! But a machete might work too!

#97103 February 20th, 2007 at 02:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
also, some large anvil pruners might work.

#97104 February 20th, 2007 at 03:20 AM
Even saws wouldn't do it-I KNOW ! I had a BOP that was so out of control. I grew to hate that thing.
I have found that the best way to keep them from becoming monsters is to keep them in large containers.

#97105 February 20th, 2007 at 02:24 PM
P
P
I use serrated kitchen knife to trim my Bird of Paradise [BoP]. Don't need to use force, the sawing motion of the blade will cut through. A ratchet pruner will work as well for trimming.

To separate [divide] baby BoP's from tne main trunk I use machete with serrated tip.

#97106 February 23rd, 2007 at 12:26 AM
M
Murray Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank's for the advice, guys! I think I'll try the serrated kitchen knife option, thank you "Papito" but I also like the idea of having someone (I think my wife) pull the leaves tight when I saw thru the plant with the knife, thank you "Kodell".

I'll have to get someone with a camera to take pictures at the time of "separation", Ha Ha!

I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers,

Murray

Link Copied to Clipboard