This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9695 December 24th, 2003 at 05:40 PM
R
Renee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
my hubby bought me a weeping cherry tree for X-mas. ( kinda hard for me not to see it, sitting in the middle of the driveway) anyhow, the ground is frozen here (6b) and I don't know if I should try and plant it to keep the roots "safe" or what I should do, any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW Have a wonderful Holiday!!!!! muggs

#9696 December 25th, 2003 at 05:02 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Merry Christmas Renee
What a cool gift! This is a good time of the year to plant the tree because it is completely dormant. If the ground is too frozen to dig, you should at least mound up some sawdust (or lots of mulch... or even soil) around the rootball to protect it.

#9697 December 26th, 2003 at 06:53 PM
R
Renee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Bill, I'll do that tomorrow. It's been in the 50's the past few days, and rather muddy, so I shouldn't have a problem getting it in the ground! I'm so excited, I love those trees in the spring! wink

#9698 December 26th, 2003 at 07:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They are pretty trees,
My mother has one on her landscaped fence,
I am totally clueless how to prune it?????

Sometimes I'm never sure when to prune any shrub..
Weezie

#9699 December 26th, 2003 at 09:53 PM
R
Renee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
PRUNE!!!???!!! What have I gotten my self into!!! ahahahahahah laugh hahaahaha I think I'll let mine go the "o natural" way. God forbid I give it a bad haircut, all the trees in the neighborhood will laugh at it! laugh You know you can't live that down! Especially when u are the new tree on the block! wink My parents came over and had christmas dinner at our house this year , it was really nice, The funny part of it was that I had gone to some local nursuries a week ago and have about 40 some plants ( can't resist 75% off - makes me very weak) in the driveway as well as my present, and my mother ( who is the best gardener!!! anything she plants does great!!! her darn aloe plant even flowered last year, but thats a whole nother topic. She lives in MD) She started looking at the tags and making a separate pile of her own next to the drive. I asked her what in the heck she thought she was doin! ( I knew exactly what she was up to, but still can't resist picking on her weakness too) And she told me that I had WAY too many plants here and she was doin me a favor and helping to "thin" them out. Specially the types she didn't have. And when the following season comes (2 summers from now) she would be more than than happy to give me cuttings,seeds or what ever so I could start my own. She cracks me up, how can you banter with that kind of logic!!!!!! I did have to stop her when she was eyeing up my X-mas present and looking at her car. I had to jump in and say (THERE's NO WAY THAT WILL FIT IN YOUR CAR!!!) I knew what she was thinkin! wink Gotta watch those gardeners that your related to every second.....they start doing a mental inventory of your plants and before you know it, they're making up lists of things you need to "bring over next time you come! hahaahahahahaha if I get my hands on that darn gardening bug! wink I think it thrives in the middle of winter, that's when the desire to garden seems to be at it's worst! wink

#9700 December 27th, 2003 at 08:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Renee,
That is so funny!! I can relate very much so!!
I had a bunch of babies I had pulled out from different parts of my garden and mothers......
from lily~of~the~valley, baby spirea's, coreopsis's, hosta's, coneflowers, raspberry bushes, chives, strawberries,
to oak trees and black walnut trees.....
and I had them on shelves by my potting table,
I also had several all around the garden area
where I'd be potting up babies that grew in area's all along the beds,
And my brother came down one day, and my mother
offered him some :rolleyes: frown (without really asking)
Well, the next thing you know, he's walking
around and he actually has this look on his
face like he was shopping in a nursery
and being a kid in a candy store
at the same time, if you can picture that,

because he wasn't paying for any of it
and having his choice pick!!!!

I had to tweak his hands on a few because I only
had one or two or they were promised elsewhere first to people that had given me stuff...........

You were talking about that dreaded "garden bug"
OMG, mine hits me when the snow is whistling out side and it's 0*!!!! I'm nestled in my jammies on the couch with my slippers, robe and blankets....And a ba~zillion magazines piled on top of me, next to me and all around me, all bookmarked, drueled on and wrinkled!!!!!
I remember the first year I really got into gardening and I took those darn books with me every where, I had a stack in the car in case I got stuck in the snow or something and I'd have them to read in there for something to do, I'd take them to my dad (when he was alive) and show him what he needed and then I'd loose him into the books and then mother and I could yak away!!!
I took them to doct appt, and christmas parties, anywhere's I went... I was bad!!!!!
Then when we got the computer it was twice as bad, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much info and no where's near the time to read it all..
And I couldn't take it with me when I left the house I was in withdrawl's!!!!

The two boys keep me quite busy now,
and here too, so does mother too.................

But my mother said the books where starting to come in already, (I had them sent to her house this year and she can read some of them first and she sends them next door when she's done, cuts done on the amounts of books).

I wonder what "bug" looks like too Renee!!
I just might have ran if I'd of just known what was in store!!!
grinnnn flw
Weezie

#9701 December 27th, 2003 at 08:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They do prune those things, don't they????

#9702 December 27th, 2003 at 09:27 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Renee that is too funny! Sounds like something I would do!
Can I come to your house? grinnnn

When I visit Jillie and Hollywood I will make sure to bring a REAL BIG truck....they have a lot of cactus and succulents grinnnn .....J/K you two!!!!

kit

#9703 December 28th, 2003 at 06:30 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Truck??? laugh That's the only thing you'd bring? laugh I would suggest a caravan! laugh laugh

Renee, Hi I'm Hollywood. I am on the West Coast and I don't think I have ever seen the tree your husband bought for you. Post some pics this spring, please!!!

#9704 December 28th, 2003 at 06:59 PM
Hollywood said....
"Truck??? That's the only thing you'd bring? I would suggest a caravan!"

I say....Yeah, and a skip-loader! wavey

Does anyone have any pics of a weeping cherry????
((dying to know, here))

#9705 December 28th, 2003 at 07:09 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
There was an ad at least a few minutes ago at the top of the page for it!!! Very pretty trees.....I don't know if they would even sell one in Calif. or ship to Calif as far as that goes!!!! You know the zone thing!

I feel sorry for the movers if you ever decide to move with all your little stickery friends. When I moved I had only a few but one of them (don't know the name) was really large and the branches would sway. The guy who was helping me move wasn't gettin near it! Had to do it myself. Even got it planted in the ground myself.....that took some ingenuity!!!! and quickness laugh
kit

#9706 December 28th, 2003 at 07:21 PM
Oh, Cat,
I think we might be looking to move over the next few months. For a coupla old dames, these endless stairs are getting us down. Carrying plants, & potting material, etc. up into the back yard is a booger these days... :p
I can't even begin to imagine the hassle it's going to be to move all these plants. We have some that can only be moved with a dolly...I think it'll cost us big bucks for someone to dare tackle the job.... :rolleyes:

#9707 December 28th, 2003 at 08:14 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Bummer!!!! Where are you movin to?

Fresh canvas to work with ....watch out...want lots and lots of pictures!!!! thumbup

#9708 December 29th, 2003 at 06:04 PM
R
Renee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
http://www.harmony-landscape.com/cherry.html
I don't know if this works, but here's a picture of what the tree looks like. (or should look like) Let me knwo when your comin over Catlover, I'll see if I can get some more bargains before hand!!! Oh yeah, mom called me yesterday, you'll never guess what "I'm supposed to bring next time I come " She wants my sheets off my bed !!!!hahahaah she kills me!! laugh She said they were the softest sheets she ever slept on! I got them on sale, they have a 600 thread count or something like that. Who'd figure, sheets?? Good thing I didn't let her sleep on the couch, she'd want that too! wink

#9709 December 29th, 2003 at 06:19 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
ROFL.....Oh Renee your mom sounds like soo much fun! You are blessed!

Did you check her suitcases before she left? laugh

That tree is soooo beautiful. I'm not sure if they sell or grow them here...lucky duck!!!!

Jealous in California!!!! Enjoy your tree! :p J/K You will have to take some pix after you get it planted and give us progress reports!!!!
wavey

#9710 December 29th, 2003 at 06:52 PM
R
Renee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
no, I didn't check her suitcase, she's pretty blatant about what she takes! It does crack me up. It's ok, cuz I get her too, and I visit her house more, so I do come out on top!!Last year she divided up her X-mas village between my sister and I . Tha was soo nice to have this year, I probably have 20 houses and hotels, restaurants and I even have 2 taverns and a jail, ( for the drunks) so they can sober up! hahaahahahah Can't have the drunks ruing my lil X-mas village!! haahahah I'll send poictures to someone who knows how to get them posted ( I have no cluw) I also have to send thepictures of my corn plant flowers too! And my awning and patio I put in last year.......I should just get my own darn site so I can post everything. That's rather intimidating wink

#9711 December 30th, 2003 at 12:37 AM
Jillie and JC,
I'm sure Catlover and I would come help with the move as long as we get to take a few babies with us!! wavey

#9712 December 31st, 2003 at 02:04 PM
F
F
Just one word of advice concerning a willow tree... maybe someone else has heard this too...

I've always heard that with willow trees u need to watch where u plant them because the roots travel long ways and can mess up your septic tank systen if u are on a private sewage disposal and not public sewer.. Heard that willow tree roots will travel a long ways seeking water. Anyone else have feedback on this?
I even heard that the agressive tree roots will find their way into the joints of old pipes and get into your sewer lines...

#9713 December 31st, 2003 at 04:03 PM
Gardengal, you and Catlover can have as many babies as you can carry!!!! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard