This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96993 February 20th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi all wavey
A ways back I posted about the 15 african violet leaves that I put to root and each and everyone rooted. The plant was actually fully decapitated by a miniblind! To remind you here is a picture [Linked Image]

At the time I was going nutty because I really don't want 15 new violets (all the same color too :p ) and didn't want to be av killer either.

Well... I don't have those worries anymore. Now the roots look like this -- this... [Linked Image]
Whatever am I going to do with this [Linked Image] Remember there are 15 leaves above the blue freezer wrap!

Please help... I really have no clue what to do with this. I am very open to ideas. I am not an av person - they were mom's. I only know what I know from watching her and she never did anything this dingy!

Would you try to break it up and salvage something or leave it as a science experiment?

I am not good at av maintenance anyway :p

#96994 February 20th, 2007 at 06:06 PM
Plop the whole mess into a pot and let nature take its course?

That IS neat-looking, though!

#96995 February 20th, 2007 at 06:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
plant the whole mess is definitely on the table! But I never thought of AV as being very social. It might be better to leave it in water than choke it that way??

What about the big leaves on the top???

Would you clip them and then plant?

How big of a pot?

boy O boy!

It's a cool science experiment, alright. I think mom is trying to tell me something!! I also have an Av that had needed repotting for so long that it grew two new centers and full 2nd and third plants. I now have two of the three sided AV in bloom. (hmmm... that one is social idea )

#96996 February 20th, 2007 at 09:13 PM
Oh how I wish I had that problem, Jane!!! laugh

I would just pot up the whole thing together in a shallow, wide pot. Or, you could separate the individual plants, but you said you didn't want that many!

Of course you'll have to cut off the leaves - and GUESS WHAT???

You could do the whole experiment AGAIN!!!
Just leave them in the wrap when you cut them!

#96997 February 20th, 2007 at 09:36 PM
Hmmm.... separate them into little pots and sell them for a good cause? or if you don't want to do it yourself, how about calling a local orphanage, humane society/animal shelter, charity, private school, etc. and asking if they would want them to sell for fundraisers?
Let's say you cut off what is there already and do what Lynne said and start over again... that is at least 30 plants, right? and at let's say $2-$3 each- that is $60-$90 easy money!

'Manda

#96998 February 20th, 2007 at 09:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manda you are funny...
I tried to find a home for these leaves... No takers.. the horticulture teacher said that she is lousy with av's and is afraid the kids and her would watch them die...

Oh my! I never even considered that when I cut off the leaves I would still have 15 have healthly leaves... oh my! Oh Nooooooooo !!!

Did I mention that I only own 6 plants total!! I still have 4 more of mom's av's, and 2 christmas cactus! That is it. I snuck into this forum laugh
Heck, as I said I already ingore the their needs. There should have been be two more pots in the window long ago... but nooooo!! I managed this one... Av [Linked Image]this poor thing has three centers and two of them are growing flowers...
It's Mom I tell you -- well Mom or the perfect window!!!!!

wavey Hey, I didn't mean to steal my own thread... I still very much want ideas on the rooted mess!!

What would you do???? Duh Duh

#96999 February 20th, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I would separate them into pots of their own. You could always cut the big leaves and use them in a plant swap or just send some to me laugh laugh I only have about 21 Av's right now. I gave one of my purple and white to my daughter and if anyone wants one I will give it to them and explain best I can to ignore after placing where it gets indirect light. BTW saw a beautiful Cardnal and my first Robin of the year this morning so guess spring is about here 83 today

#97000 February 21st, 2007 at 12:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jimmy, you can send AVs? If so, who can I ship the whole mess off too laugh laugh

It's great to hear about your spring birds! It's our first spring doing backyard feeding and we are very excited!!! BTW the juncos and the white-throated sparrow are still here!

I'm still choking over the idea that whatever I do will create more leaves. Wow...Lynne's idea to "Just leave them in the wrap when you cut them!" is so doable it scares me. I really wish the magic av fairy would come and save them!

#97001 February 21st, 2007 at 01:55 AM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GonetotheBirds:
[QB] Jimmy, you can send AVs? If so, who can I ship the whole mess off too laugh laugh
Yes Barlychown/Sarah sent me and some others some last year. I posted a photo of a couple I have blooming in Lynne's thread Finaly an AV or something like that just under this thread here in houseplants. There are probably a bunch that would love tyo have some. I will send you postage if you want to send some to me I have lighted carts for mine. You can see it in my PB.

#97002 February 21st, 2007 at 05:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jimmy, Once it is settled and I have guidance on what the heck I am doing with them... I will pay the postage..

It sounds like I'll need to send Lynne extra!!

Where is Barlyclown? I need her to chime in.

#97003 February 21st, 2007 at 05:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It really boggles my mind that if I carefully cut the bottom from the leaves and put the leaves in plastic back on the dish ... the darn leaves will just start again! nutz

#97004 February 21st, 2007 at 04:09 PM
JANE!!! Duh clp

You are tooooooooooooo funny!
But seriously... how easy would it be to do that???

By the way... what color does this Energizer AV actually bloom???
Is the picture the one that they came from?

Oh, and you should separate that plant that has 3 in it!
WHAT ... you say?!? laugh eek
It does look VERY healthy, but to keep it going, it will need more room eventually...

(Although I should probably keep my mouth shut at this point, since you've done such a wonderful job with it!)

#97005 February 21st, 2007 at 06:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ohhh... it is screaming to be repotted. I swear I am not a plant person! Mom died 6 years ago and I have repotted them once! Boy, I had to find home for about a zillion.

Lynne, Those leaves will just do it again --- mind boggling isn't it.

Color --- pink or purple laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard