This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96751 March 17th, 2007 at 08:52 PM
OP Offline
Ok, I have a garden we have been prepairing for a week now. It's ready to be plznted with veggies. It is 19 ft long x 5 ft wide, fence on one long side, I want to plznt my corn but should I plant it in short rows from fence out (the 5ft long rows) or should I plant it along to LONG side (19 ft) how many rows should I plant also? I heard they like peas to grow with the too, when should I plant those? I was going to plant my zucc on one side (about 5 ft away from them) and tomatoes on the other side, would they be ok with that or what should I plant next to them?? Plus this is my first time planting corn, EVER.
help with this would be great clp

#96752 March 17th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Corn is best planted in blocks rather than rows as you will get a better pollination. So i'd go with the short 5' rows. plant as many as you like. You can freeze excess fruit. It works pretty well to have your cucumber/zuchinni gherkins etc planted at the edge of the corn, they are good companion plants. Put them along the northern edge of the corn so they receive sunlight. Depending on which way the bed faces, you need to have enough distance between the tomatoes and the corn for them to not shade each other too much.
I grew beans up my corn, using the stalks as the trellis. It worked OK. The corn prevented a lot of the light getting down to the beans but i did get a decent feed. Also the beans, being a legume, helped to feed the corn. plant your peas about a week or maybe 2 after the corn, so the corn is strong enough to support the climbing peas.

#96753 March 17th, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Put them along the northern edge of the corn so they receive sunlight.
I had to read that a few times--I was starting to panic that I had been planting everything all wrong! But then I realized, for those of us in the northern hemisphere (such as America and the UK) it is the southern side of the corn. laugh

#96754 March 18th, 2007 at 02:01 AM
OP Offline
great thank you! I had to read that as well twice, as I live in the central california valley (sacramento) and the sun is on the south side of us. being that, if I DID plant them on the northern side of my satlks, they would not get any sun...lol perpl
Thank you very much for the tip on the beans climbing up the stalks and when to plant them. Great help that is, as I would have planted them at the same time. shk Then the corn would have been stunted or something like that i imagine

#96755 March 18th, 2007 at 08:22 AM
"But then I realized, for those of us in the northern hemisphere (such as America and the UK) it is the southern side of the corn."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh yeah. Oops. I forgot yuz are on the bottom side of the earth.......(Depending on where you view it from of course. I never did figure out who decided the universe has a top and a bottom!)

"I would have planted them at the same time."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I did. That's how i know! I guess that's one of the points of having a forum though right? The beans grew like crazy and tried to strangle the corn before it had the strength to support them, so i had to go around and clear them a bit. However i have about 70 cobs in the freezer and we ate lots fresh too. LOTS of manures and compost etc and plenty of water when the fruit were maturing.

Link Copied to Clipboard