This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9666 June 20th, 2003 at 03:04 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I have moved a flourishing Aloe plant outside because it had overgrown it's indoor position. It seems to have gone black and I don't know why. It could be related to a very cold night we had (england) or too much water upon replanting, or too much sun. Can anyone elaborate on this, or has anyone had the same problem? HELP

#9667 June 20th, 2003 at 06:53 PM
K
K
Kalstras, I don't know all that much about the care of aloe, but it sounds to me like maybe it could be both of your suggestions. Here's a link that might be of some help to you, at least I hope so...
http://www.thinkflowers.com/about/plantcare_detail.asp?articleID=1

#9668 June 21st, 2003 at 10:45 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
A word on spots....Keep in mind this is general and not specific to any one plant.

If the spots or patches are crisp and brown, underwatering is the most likely cause.

If the areas are soft and dark brown, it is likely caused by overwatering.

If the spots or patches are white or straw colored, it is caused by watering with cold water, having water splash on the leaves, aerosol damage, or too much sun.

Various diseases can cause moist, blister like spots or dry and sunken spots as well.

Hope this helps
Barb
barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#9669 June 21st, 2003 at 01:28 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Too much sun? confused I thought Aloe was a full sun hardy succulent? I think my problem is too much water following a transplant then followed directly with an outside placing with a frost overnight. :rolleyes: You guessed it, a totally stunned plant, but yes it is recovering.

#9670 June 24th, 2003 at 05:22 AM
S
S
I had recently planted my Aloe outside and they do not like the cold. It has been raining here for about 6 days now and the plant doesn't seem to be minding it. My aloe is in full sun all day. Except of course not in the rain. I planted mine outside about 3 weeks ago.

#9671 June 25th, 2003 at 05:24 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally posted by spring:
I had recently planted my Aloe outside and they do not like the cold. It has been raining here for about 6 days now and the plant doesn't seem to be minding it. My aloe is in full sun all day. Except of course not in the rain. I planted mine outside about 3 weeks ago.

What happens to your Aloe in the snow/winter?

#9672 June 28th, 2003 at 03:36 PM
E
E
I have an aloe vera I inherited from my mother. I recently moved it outside in a shaded area and after awhile moved it into full sun. It didn't like it. I am now gradually moving it to sun. I do know that cold will definitely do harm to an aloe vera. They are not winter hardy although some of the species of the plant may very well be. If it over watered it will turn yellowish. Hope this helps.

#9673 June 30th, 2003 at 05:10 AM
S
S
Good morning all,

I plan to bring mine in during winter months.
I actually got snow on the 25th of this month and forgot to bring my aloe in. The small storm didnt seem to bother it too much.

How often do you water? I only water mine 1 time every week.

I am not a plant expert, in fact I am farely new at it. So my suggestions probably would not be the best.

#9674 July 12th, 2003 at 03:08 AM
F
F
Never seemed to have any luck with them myself until now. Bought a little one at Walmart 3 months ago, planted it in a larger pot and this time and used cactus potting soil. I always used regular potting soil before and they would die. It's outside on my pourch and I water it about once a week, or when it looks like I can see a slight turning of color (kind of reddish-brown). This one I water from the top until water starts draining out the bottom of the pot. And it is doing just great smile Think I finally found the trick that works for me. :p Hope it does as well when I have to bring it in for the winter as it gets cold in Oklahoma.

Link Copied to Clipboard