This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9664 June 5th, 2003 at 05:58 PM
J
Jess Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello I am new to this forum but have a few questions I would like to ask...I have an aloe vera plant and was told that you can cut it and make another plant out of it. is it true??? and if so how do you do it?? I have had this plant for a few months now and have just learnt this and am just questionning it....anyways thank you and all answers will help thanks again.
Jess confused

#9665 June 6th, 2003 at 05:49 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Hi Jess, welcome to our forum... Aloe Vera is a little more difficult to propagate from cuttings than most succulents due to the quantity of moisture (gel) in the leaves, but it is possible and not that tough. Beginners should start by rooting a complete leaf rather than a cut portion. Carefully pull (downward) a healthy lower leaf and remove it from the stem. Allow the leaf to set in a warm, dry location for 3 days until a callous has formed over the area where it connected to the stem. Then set the base of the leaf about an inch into some moistened, sterile growing medium (I prefer vermiculite but you can use potting soil or sand) Keep the medium slightly moist, and keep it in a warm place (75 degrees). Roots will generally begin to develop in about a month. In 2-3 months a tiny new plant will begin to emerge from the base of the cutting.
An easier method is to wait until the plant matures and begins to create offsets, which can easily be removed from the mother. Normally these will already have a few of their own roots and be ready to place in their own pot immediately. If there are no roots, pot them up, but withhold watering for the first week.
Good luck!
wink

Link Copied to Clipboard