This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96079 January 27th, 2007 at 07:42 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I got this palm about 3 months ago and it was a lot smaller. It is now 19 inches tall with 7 stocks in a 4 inch pot. I have a nice purple ceramic pot that I want to put it in a pot big enough that I won"t be transplanting every year as well as being heavy enough to hold the plant when it is 4 or 5 feet tall.

My question is transplanting at this time of year and in to a much larger pot 9 wide by 7 deep and when I separate the stocks – what is a good way cutting or just pulling apart?

[Linked Image]

#96080 January 28th, 2007 at 12:06 AM
The most common recommendation and standard industry practice is to transplant palms during warmer times of the year -- preferably in late spring or early summer -- because a long growing season is available for the regeneration of the root system.

Having said that, I've just noticed that your from Calgary, so I assume you won't have your palm outside year 'round? lol

Re: cutting vs. pulling apart of your parlour palm, carefully pulling them apart is best: plant maturity tends to influence the functionality of the root initiation zone in younger palms, and therefore impacts their ability to regenerate roots after transplanting -- with cutting, it is much more difficult for the plant to sprout new roots.

Hope that helps,
Frann

#96081 January 28th, 2007 at 12:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i wouldn't split the stalks out...

even tho you'd have 2 plants, i think you'd end up dissappointed in the 'less full' look that would result.

the way they are situated in the pot at the moment is very nicely balanced.

unless there are roots growing out of the bottom of the current pot, i'd wait to transplant to a larger pot. you can easily go 2 sizes up (to an 8 inch pot) when you do transplant. i wouldn't do anything larger than that at the moment.

#96082 January 28th, 2007 at 12:53 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, I will persevere with patients. Calgary gets hail in the early June to July just in time to strip off all the leaves of the tomatoes. I got hit 3 times last summer but the garden came back and was good.

Link Copied to Clipboard