This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9582 May 14th, 2003 at 06:32 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone...

I'm getting ready to turn an existing flower bed from annuals to perennials. Here is my problem...

In the past 3 years, I have planted Impatiens in that bed...and they have done great. (It's pretty shaded..diffused light) Last year, my daughter planted a couple flats of Impatiens...and nothing happened! They just stayed the same. They didn't die....they looked healthy. But, they just didn't grow or spread out.

Now, I want to put my new Hosta's and a few other things in there...but want to start out on the right foot. What happened last year...and what should I do before planting this year??

Thanks a bunch!

Happy Planting,

Annie laugh

#9583 May 14th, 2003 at 07:33 AM
Hi Annie!

Well, it could have been the wretched drought we had last year, but I'm guessing that the soil needs beefing up and turning over. The previous impatiens beds probably ate up all the nutrients. Get some good compost or manure or both and mix it up with the soil before planting. Your plants will thank you for it. wink

#9584 May 14th, 2003 at 06:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Pansy Annie,
Question??
Could the planting style be different from you and your daughter??
Maybe planted too deep or not enough
or not good enough contact with soil so they struggled??

Or would you have added something at planting time that she didn't???

I also agree with "Bess", beefing up the soil can never hurt, good ole compost is my number 1 friend!!!

And water is a big factor, they are in some of the bog gardening things I have seen, I believe they are huge moisture lovers!!!

Weezie

smile

#9585 May 15th, 2003 at 08:15 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Bess & Weezie!

I went to the nursery yesterday afternoon...talked w/them about my problem...and came home w/a manure/compost mixture. **winks at Bess**

...I also came home with a Bleeding Heart, Jacob's Ladder and a rhubarb plant. smile

Happy Planting,

Annie

#9586 May 15th, 2003 at 08:17 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Weezie,

Good question.

It's very possible my daughter and I were planting differently. (I have to admit, she got it done much faster than I would have...)

I do think that soil needed a boost. We'll see what happens with this new Hosta Garden.

Happy planting,

Annie laugh

#9587 May 15th, 2003 at 10:48 AM
You go, Pansie Annie!

What kind of bleeding heart did you get? I have been ogling them for a while now, but can't make up my mind! :rolleyes:

#9588 May 15th, 2003 at 12:36 PM
P
OP Offline
P
*chuckle*

Thanks, Bess!!

I got another Dicentra Spectabilis...red. That's just the regular old Bleeding Heart. I'm curious about the Dicentra Formosa...which supposidly blooms all year. I'm just not certain of how it would do in my zone. smile

The Bleeding Heart reminds me of my grandma... wink

I have one I planted a couple years ago that I'd like to transplant....I've heard they don't appreciate that too much.

Thoughts anyone?

Happy planting,

Annie

#9589 May 16th, 2003 at 05:03 AM
Shoot, Annie. I looked them both up and I think i'm just going to have to grow them all. :rolleyes:
I don't see anything about them not liking to be moved in my Mynah plant Book, but it does mention that they can be divided in late winter. cool

Link Copied to Clipboard