This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95787 March 17th, 2007 at 11:15 PM
Joni_P Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a "box" that I think would make a great nesting box, now my question is : Where should I put it so they will actually use it as a nesting box ?

Thanks in advance smile

Joni

I should add I have lots of farm cats so not sure if they would even want to come here ??? But the cats are more mousers, they usually leave the birds alone.

#95788 March 18th, 2007 at 12:40 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Depends on what type of birds you want to attract. Not ALL birds use bird houses or nest boxes. I find that the best place to put a nest box is on a post or fence pole, about 4-7 feet above the ground. You can put some sort of baffle or barrier around the pole above and/or below the box to keep cats and other predators out. If you are after bluebirds the boxes should be spaced about 300 feet from any other bluebird nest box or any human building, for best results. Here is a picture of a typical blue bird nest box with the critical dimensions that I drew using Google Sketch-Up:

bluebird Nest Box
[Linked Image]

I am Thornius, the Bird Man here. I live in Nashville, TN. Welcome to the forum!!!

#95789 March 18th, 2007 at 02:09 AM
Joni_P Offline OP
OP Offline
cool thanx so much ! I think i have the perfect spot for it ~ we'll see what I attract lol....

Joni

Link Copied to Clipboard