This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95763 December 27th, 2006 at 09:28 AM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey, could someone tell me how to get yucca going from a root cutting? I had trouble last year, dug some up, but couldn't find the root, planted it, ironically it didn't do anything.

I have a two year old plant that is growing well, but I don't want to hurt it. Would it hurt it to dig up a root once I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Lorena

#95764 December 27th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
S
S
i hack off my yacca roots all the time when i take starters off it and its never hurt it, once the yaccas flower that part of it dies off and it will grow on another part of the root .[sideshoots]
after your yaccas flower look for the sideshoots in spring or sometimes fall, dig em up and chop off the sideshoots you want to replant

#95765 December 30th, 2006 at 03:04 AM
S
S
i took some pics of my yacca roots so ya know what they look like 1st one i didnt to much dig up but you can see a tiny little starter in it
[Linked Image]

2nd pic i dug it up you can see the root
[Linked Image]
hope it helps ya

#95766 February 17th, 2007 at 06:16 PM
hi,

I was doing a search on Yucca Root and pictures..and came accross this website. My name is Al in California. I am interested in growing the yucca root for eating.

My question is, can I grow the plant that we buy at the store?

If so, do you know where I can get information on getting some seedlings, roots..etc so I can grow it and the growing charactics of it.

thanks
AL

#95767 February 17th, 2007 at 06:20 PM
Hi Al. I am also in Cal. I have lot's of yucca but there are so many kinds, I'm not even sure of the sort that is sold for food. I am sorry not to be of help, but welcome.

#95768 February 18th, 2007 at 05:15 PM
Thanks Tina,

This URL gives more info on the plant.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-yucca-root-manioc-cassava.html
Its delicious....I find in CA at the local supermarket..but hard to find information on growing it.

Thanks, look forward in hearing more info about it.

Al

#95769 February 19th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
P
P
Hello Al,

Start with cuttings [stakes] from fully grown Cassava with tubers, roughly about 8-10 months old. Take the cuttings from the base and the middle section, anywhere from 20cm to 30cm [about 8" to 12"] long X 2cm [less than 1"] thick with 5-7 nodes or leaf mark.

The cuttings [stakes] can be buried flat 5cm to 10 cm [about 2"-4"] below the soil. Soil preferably light sandy loam or loamy sands. Keep the soil moist and the sprout will be out in about a week after planting. A soil pH range of 4.0 to 8.0 will be okay. Needs full sun.

If you happen to be in an area where there are lots of rain, plant the cuttings [stakes] vertically or inclined if in semi-rainy area 8cm to 15cm [3" to 6"]below the soil.

The Cassava needs about 8 months [or longer] of warm weather to produce good size tubers.

#95770 February 20th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
Geesh, I don't think you could do anything to hurt a Yucca plant if you tried. frown My neighbor had some Yuccas that she wanted taken out so she could plant something else in that space. Well, I dug them up for her but they came back the next year! :rolleyes: The 2nd year, I dug them out again and went much deeper than before, but they still came back. eek The third year, the same thing happened. mad Of course, the worst part is that every year I did this for her I got stabbed several times and cut my fingers, hands and arms quite a few times. frown

Well, last year, the nursery sold her someting to spray on them so I guess we'll just wait and see what happens this spring. Duh I sure hope it works because I'm too old to be getting mauled by a plant, eek especially one that's smaller than me. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard