This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95692 January 28th, 2007 at 10:39 PM
OP Offline
I had a pothos that was mixed in the same pot as some heart leave philo. A while back I had noticed that it had mushrooms growing out of the soil and was told that it might be potbound or rootbound. Is there a difference? Any, I took out the mushrooms and pushed the soil around the top back into place where it had pulled away on the sides. It seemed that it was fine and was doing fine for months. About a week ago I noticed it wasn't looking so good and thought at first that maybe I wasn't giving it enough water. But then I thought that was wrong because I've always watered it sparingly and I've had it for 3 years and it's done fine. It steadily got worse looking and some of the leaves starting turning yellow and the whole thing was really droopy. I took it down and when I pulled the plant out of the pot, it was definately root/potbound and the outside of the soil that was against the pot was white and fuzzy. I cut off all the stems that looked like they could be saved and put them in water hoping to re root them. My question is, is it still okay to use that same pot again? I've cleaned it out and will be putting the newly rooted pothos (when they're rooted) into brand new soil and sort of start over with this plant. Am I on the right track here?

#95693 January 28th, 2007 at 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wash it in a solution of bleach water, let it dry completely, then yes, you can reuse the pot.

#95694 January 28th, 2007 at 11:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that.

#95695 January 29th, 2007 at 03:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
definitely wash it with bleach and make sure you scrub the inside of the pot with something (an old toothbrush would work). i'd rinse it well with hot water too.

#95696 January 29th, 2007 at 11:33 PM
don?t worry both Philodendrons and Pothos do fine pot bound they dont have much demand for foot-space (roots). I work in the horticulture industry and that seems to be the "solve all" solution to everything. BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH MUSHROOMS both plants are sub-tropical but do best on the dry side. if its wet enough for mushrooms the its too wet for Philodendrons and Pothos. Try to cut back on the water and increase air flow (no drafts from heating/ cooling vents). this will kill off any remaining mushroom Hyphae. And as for a tip for watering try to use a moisture-meter especially if your soil is organic... this is because soil can be dry to the touch on the surface but maybe soggy and stagnant at the bottom...

#95697 January 29th, 2007 at 11:49 PM
OP Offline
I know it was definately not soggy. I only water my pothos sparingly and the pot it was in had good drainage. When I pulled it out of the pot, it was dry all the way through. I think the white stuff was some kind of mold. At least that's what it looked like, and whatever it was it was killing the plant. I think the only reason that it grew a mushroom (which was over a year again and never returned) must have been that some spores got in there somehow. Duh My other pothos, which I've only had for 7 or 8 months, are doing great and I only water them once or twice a month. I know that I can start a new plant from the cuttings, and I'll make sure to sanitize the pot really well. I love that pot and don't want to give it up.

Link Copied to Clipboard