This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95634 March 3rd, 2007 at 10:18 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm newly married and will be planting my first vegetable garden. I have about an acre of land to choose from, but i've heard from the neighbors that my plot gets water-logged easily (even though we have a slight slope and drainage ditches all around). I also have very tall, mature trees on the perimeter of the property. I'm in zone 5, I believe. How do I decided where to place this garden? How can I discover how well the water will drain? How much sunlight per day should it get, etc? Thanks so much for all your help! smile

#95635 March 3rd, 2007 at 10:20 PM
lots of sunlight [as much as possible], try to stay away from the trees, and maybe add gardening gypsum to increase drainage in the soil..

thumbup

--Mark--

#95636 March 4th, 2007 at 03:32 AM
Vegies like plenty of sun, so pick a spot close to the house, for ease for maintenance and in full or near full sun, (a bit of late afternoon shade in Summer isn't a bad thing). You'll need water nearby too. Don't put it far from an existing water supply unless you plan to install more water lines.
Regarding the soil drainage, dig a hole about a foot deep, and tip in a bucket of water. Time how long it takes for the water to dissappear into the soil. If it takes more than 15 min you may need to improve the soil a bit. If it takes more than 30 min you almost certainly would do better building up the soil. (This is a good idea regardless.) Clay based soils drain poorly. Sand based soils drain freely. Somewhere in between is ideal.
Do your neighbours grow vegies or do they have successful gardens? They may give you a few tips on exactly what the soil needs not only drainage wise but also with Ph, nutrient etc. I'd have another talk to them.

Link Copied to Clipboard